Re-taking the IFR written

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Can't find the answer in the FAR/AIM...I took the instrument written & passed it in 2007. I need to take it again because more than 2 years have passed.

Because the retake is due to time and not failure, can I just wander into a test center or do I need another signoff?

Can't find the answer in the FAR/AIM...I took the instrument written & passed it in 2007. I need to take it again because more than 2 years have passed.

Because the retake is due to time and not failure, can I just wander into a test center or do I need another signoff?

You can use your expired test report as a signoff (as long as you passed of course) but you have to actually have it in your possession. It is on the faa.gov website somewhere, you have to search for it, it's not the FARs/AIM.

edit: here it is
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/media/testing_matrix.pdf

And be prepared for a much higher cost! At Summit, CATS was talking about $150, IIRC.

And be prepared for a much higher cost! At Summit, CATS was talking about $150, IIRC.
In early 2008 the FAA awarded CATS and Lasergrade exclusive rights to testing, at substantially increased rates.

I think we talked about this back then...

You can use your expired test report as a signoff (as long as you passed of course) but you have to actually have it in your possession. It is on the faa.gov website somewhere, you have to search for it, it's not the FARs/AIM.

edit: here it is
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/media/testing_matrix.pdf

Found the details, then went scrounging for the original....turns out I keep copies of everything at the house, but the original was sitting in the safe deposit box along with the airplane log books.

Yes, I'm paranoid.

Yeah $150 for taking the test is completely absurd. Its a "set" price now... I even shopped around before taking my private written ha

It's $100 for the test, and $50 for the "administrative fee" that goes to the test provider (CATS or LaserGrade) to cover their costs for administering the testing centers. They have to individually train every person who proctors the test. No video training or anything, it must be in person.

It's $100 for the test, and $50 for the "administrative fee" that goes to the test provider (CATS or LaserGrade) to cover their costs for administering the testing centers. They have to individually train every person who proctors the test. No video training or anything, it must be in person.

$55 and it's listed as "commission" on the invoice to the test center.

Ahhhh yes, good old government efficiency... I just this past week needed to get my Class F (Farm) heavy truck endorsement ( >26,000 pounds, double bottoms, air brakes) on my driver's license in preparation for corn harvest... I drove semi's for a living over 50 years ago so I am not intimidated by the test...

So I bop off to the sec'y of state office and take the written test for the Class F heavy truck endorsement... Passed it and given my endorsement... I also added the Canadian passport endorsement so they had my Birth Certificate in hand at that moment, so I idly asked if I could make an appointment to take the on-the-road driving test which will complete the requirements for a Class A Commercial license to drive for hire (have no intention of driving for hire, just wanted to add the endorsement)... You must show a birth certificate or passport for the Class A CDL and I was right there - figured to get two birds with one stone The answer was nope, you have to go to a private company and get an approval slip from them first (like getting signed off to take your private pilot check ride)...

OK, so I call the local truck driver's school... Yikes, it is $4,000 and 20 weeks... I tell them I know how to drive, that I have the commercial written test passed and I don't need their school, and all I want is to demonstrate to them I can drive and back a double bottom trailer to meet the standards of the state... I'm willing to pay them for their time and use of their truck and the sign off - I'm thinking maybe 500 bucks...
NOPE... It is $4K or go away + 20 weeks... And you thought aviation was expensive...

denny-o

Ahhhh yes, good old government efficiency... I just this past week needed to get my Class F (Farm) heavy truck endorsement ( >26,000 pounds, double bottoms, air brakes) on my driver's license in preparation for corn harvest... I drove semi's for a living over 50 years ago so I am not intimidated by the test...

So I bop off to the sec'y of state office and take the written test for the Class F heavy truck endorsement... Passed it and given my endorsement... I also added the Canadian passport endorsement so they had my Birth Certificate in hand at that moment, so I idly asked if I could make an appointment to take the on-the-road driving test which will complete the requirements for a Class A Commercial license to drive for hire (have no intention of driving for hire, just wanted to add the endorsement)... You must show a birth certificate or passport for the Class A CDL and I was right there - figured to get two birds with one stone The answer was nope, you have to go to a private company and get an approval slip from them first (like getting signed off to take your private pilot check ride)...

OK, so I call the local truck driver's school... Yikes, it is $4,000 and 20 weeks... I tell them I know how to drive, that I have the commercial written test passed and I don't need their school, and all I want is to demonstrate to them I can drive and back a double bottom trailer to meet the standards of the state... I'm willing to pay them for their time and use of their truck and the sign off - I'm thinking maybe 500 bucks...
NOPE... It is $4K or go away + 20 weeks... And you thought aviation was expensive...

denny-o
Ah, this IS government efficiency. They've outsourced something that wasn't efficient to them to the private sector, thereby making Government smaller. I've been hearing that this is a Good Thing, especially lately. Your problem is that the private sector wants to make a profit, and now that profit-making venture is a gate-keeper to inherently governmental functions! :mad2::mad2::mad2:

Back