re register

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
:eek:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – In an effort to create a more accurate aircraft registration database, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is requiring re-registration of all civil aircraft over the next three years and renewal every three years after that.
The rule establishes specific expiration dates over a three-year period for all aircraft registered before Oct. 1, 2010, and requires re-registration of those aircraft according to a specific schedule. All aircraft registration certificates issued on or after Oct. 1, 2010 will be good for three years with the expiration date clearly shown.
“These improvements will give us more up-to-date registration data and better information about the state of the aviation industry,” said FAA Administrator Randy Babbitt.
Current regulations require owners to report the sale of an aircraft, the scrapping or destruction of an aircraft, or a change in mailing address, but many owners have not complied with those requirements.
Re-registration of all U.S. civil aircraft by Dec. 31, 2013 will enhance the database with current data derived from recent contact with aircraft owners. The new regulations also will ensure that aircraft owners give the FAA fresh information at least once every three years when they renew their registration. The FAA will cancel the N-numbers of aircraft that are not re-registered or renewed.
The schedule for re-registration and registration expiration is:

Certificate issued Certificate expires Re-registration required
(Any year)

March March 31, 2011 Nov. 1, 2010-Jan. 31, 2011
April June 30, 2011 Feb. 1 - April 30, 2011
May Sept. 30, 2011 May 1- July 31, 2011
June Dec. 31, 2011 Aug. 1- Oct. 31, 2011
July March 31, 2012 Nov. 1, 2011-Jan. 31, 2012
August June 30, 2012 Feb. 1- April 30, 2012
September Sept. 30, 2012 May 1- July 31, 2012
October Dec. 31, 2012 Aug. 1- Oct. 31, 2012
November March 31, 2013 Nov. 1, 2012-Jan. 31, 2013
December June 30, 2013 Feb. 1- April 30, 2013
January Sept. 30, 2013 May 1- July 31, 2013
February Dec. 31, 2013 Aug. 1- Oct. 31, 2013
The final rule can be found at: http://www.ofr.gov/inspection.aspx#regular

...announcement of fee charged for this "service" expected in three, two, one...

When the fee gets announced, I am going to contact the powers that be of Sealand, and see what permanent registration I can get there for a one time fee. :D

I thought we just got done with this registration verification thing not 2 years ago?

When the fee gets announced, I am going to contact the powers that be of Sealand, and see what permanent registration I can get there for a one time fee. :D

$5

Oh and the re-registration schedule (which I couldn't make heads or tails of in the OP) is:

attachment.php

Attachments

• schedule.jpg
    schedule.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 212
so, what's the value of an accurate registration database?

Freeing up N numbers for one. I think the paper stated they currently have a 37% error.

Increased revenue. Greater control over the populace by a large, centralized government.

Don't forget violatin' yer rats by sending out ADs to the correct address...

Uhhm they're no longer mailing out ADs

ecblank.gif

Full Electronic Distribution of Airworthiness Directives

In September of 2007, we stopped mailing paper copies of ADs applicable to transport airplanes and engines installed on transport airplanes. We will stop mailing paper copies for the remaining products according to the following schedule:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Product[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Date[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Transport rotorcraft and rotorcraft engines[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]October 1, 2009[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All other rotorcraft and rotorcraft engines[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]January 1, 2010[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All aircraft, engines, and propellers[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]March 1, 2010[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Note: We will continue to fax and/or paper mail Emergency AD's for the foreseeable future[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
To continue receiving ADs at no cost, please subscribe to our GovDelivery email service by visiting the Regulatory and Guidance Library home page (http://rgl.faa.gov).

For those desiring paper copies, we will continue to provide the AD Biweekly, which is a paid subscription of all ADs issued in the Federal Register over the previous 2-week period. The AD Biweekly is printed and mailed by the Government Printing Office (GPO) and does not include SAIBs. Contact the GPO directly at phone: (202) 512–1806 to subscribe.

so, what's the value of an accurate registration database?
Knowing just how many airplanes there are out there and what types they are. Makes a big difference when the FAA is trying to figure out what the demands on the system will be.

I'm not sure about this, I think someone told me that whenever any substantial work is done on an aircraft, the FAA gets a copy of the work from the mechanic. If that is the case, then the FAA is pretty much up on just about all operating aircraft in the U.S.

I do not believe there is anything sinister about this new rule. It will provide a small amount of income to the FAA, perhaps help toward another Christmas meeting that they seem so fond of.

Most importantly, it provides more work to a beleaguered government agency, which will of course necessitate hiring more people, in turn, helping our economy. What with us closing as many private businesses as we can, and then all the factories we have already closed, our government has to start improving services, or at least the availability of services, in order to be able to provide more much needed jobs.

We have voted for larger bureaucracies rather than private sector production, so we must continue to accept that we will have a much more visible government presence in our lives in the future.

I can see into the near future when it will be required to renew aircraft registration annually, rather than every three years.

I am sure that soon our personal handguns and rifles will be provided a similar service for our benefit and safety.

Sorry for the SZish response, just couldn't help myself. :)

John

Nobody gripes about registering their car every year. This amounts to the same thing, just less often and less money.

I pay 5 bucks a year to register my canoe.

200,000 airplanes x 5 bucks every three years isn't exactly a windfall for the FAA, but pilots are a notoriously cheap and whiny bunch, so...

Will we use the same difficult to get form for the reregister I wonder? We can do the state thing for both planes and cars on line. I wonder if the FAA will set up on line re registration??

Cheers:

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

Knowing just how many airplanes there are out there and what types they are. Makes a big difference when the FAA is trying to figure out what the demands on the system will be.
Now, if the Hobbes reading were an entry on the form, they could actually start generating some more meaningful statistics about the amount of flying that goes on, thereby making some accident rate statistics more accurate.

Exactly how is security enhanced by an accurate aircraft registration
database?

THis statement is included early-on in the FAA's Final Rule document that was published:

The FAA and other government agencies are increasingly developing sophisticated uses that are enabled by progressing technology. An example is Automatic Detection and Processing Terminal or ADAPT, a program developed by the FAA Strategic Operations Security with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). (See 70 FR 73323, December 9, 2005.) This program continuously draws registration information for combination with other data, satellite feeds, and radar to develop a display of the national airspace complete with the registration status of each aircraft that is
operating on a filed flight plan. Using this information, appropriate safety,
security, and law enforcement actions can be initiated. The development of the ADAPT program and other safety- and security-related programs demand an accurate database.
In 1988, the FAA mission was expanded to include providing assistance to law enforcement agencies through the passage of the FAA Drug Enforcement Assistance Act of 1988 (the Act) (partially codified at 49 U.S.C. 44111). The Act charged the FAA with making specific modifications to the registration database to more effectively serve the needs of buyers and sellers of aircraft, law enforcement officials, and other users of the system. The FAA has addressed most of the issues identified in the Act and improved service to users through administrative modifications, technology upgrades, and focused enforcement programs. Access to aircraft data and most individual aircraft records is easy and routine.

Nobody gripes about registering their car every year. This amounts to the same thing, just less often and less money.
That's not exactly true. Since I started driving, license fees and registration has only ever gone up. All they are is revenue producers and in general, I see NO BENEFIT to paying $50 a year to reregister my car. I pay state and federal taxes (also going up every year). I pay gas taxes for both state and federal whose moneys are supposed to support the highway infrastructure.
So yeah, I see this ONLY as a back door to more revenue. I'm not opposed to pay as you go but there is only so much one can pay. Services you used to get for free BECAUSE you paid taxes now cost you.
USER FEES. When do they stop?

I'm not sure about this, I think someone told me that whenever any substantial work is done on an aircraft, the FAA gets a copy of the work from the mechanic. If that is the case, then the FAA is pretty much up on just about all operating aircraft in the U.S.

The FAA gets a Form 337 describing any major repair or alteration. Other than that the FAA doesn't see anything about specific aircraft from one's A&P or IA. Aircraft can live their entire lifespans without needing a Form 337. More likely they'll know you put in a GPS ten years ago, but that doesn't tell them much about the aircraft now. The FAA is pretty clueless about the state of the operational fleet from this source.

every avenue of revenue increase seems to be explored lately. This year the property tax portion of my truck's registration doubled to over $150.

Isn't $5 registration fee every three years better than ala cart user fees ? I spend $5 just getting to the airport. I don't find the cost burdensome. Heck, I think it should yearly as a part of the annual service. Just boost the FAA income enough so they don't go the way of Canada & Europe.

how much you want to bet that it costs us via our gov't efficiencies $45 to process and collect that $5?

I see this as a great opportunity for the alphabet groups. They can offer a service to members to remind them to re-register and to help prep the paperwork. The ARRL does this for FCC license renewals and it is a great service.

And who to bill for those services, when that time comes.

P.S.--I have no problem with $5 q3y. Very modest fee.

Last edited:
I see this as a great opportunity for the alphabet groups. They can offer a service to members to remind them to re-register and to help prep the paperwork. The ARRL does this for FCC license renewals and it is a great service.
AOPA already monitors FAA medical for me. I wouldn't be surprised if they add this too.
My FBO monitors all! Before I'm dispatched in one of their planes, the system does a currency check. Proof is needed if out of any. My last update was medical but they also check and record flight reviews and currency in their aircraft ( at least 2 hours in 60 days, by the way).

Its just not the type of change we were hoping for.

Back