Re-Issue Stolen Certificate

hodgejr

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Panda Monium
Hello, 1st time post here and forever lurker. Got my PP-ASEL back in 2006, racked up some hours then hung up my wings ("life" excuses) Around 2010 my wallet was stolen and there went my card, but as I wasn't actively flying I never pursued it. Now that I want to get current again, I need to re-issue my plastic.

Problem is:
- I don't know my license #, no record of it anywhere
- In order to request a new one online through the FAA site, I need to create an account. It requires my license #...which I don't have.
- I dialed up the 1800 FAA number hoping to get an agent but all I got are recordings, instructing me to go to the website to request a new card. Which I can't...since I don't have my number.

I saw I could request it via snailmail but my guesses are it will take a government agency months till they get back to me.

Is there another option I didn't think of yet?

Maybe the process has changed in the last 20 years, but when my Dad turned 85 and had to give up driving due to failing eyesight, I found him in the FAA database, filed a request for a lost certificate replacement, mailed off $2, and he got his replacement cert. He was thrilled-showed it to everyone he knew

He hadn’t flown in 50 years, and obviously wasn’t going to start again, but it wasn’t hard to get the replacement.

Maybe the process has changed in the last 20 years, but when my Dad turned 85 and had to give up driving due to failing eyesight, I found him in the FAA database, filed a request for a lost certificate replacement, mailed off $2, and he got his replacement cert. He was thrilled-showed it to everyone he knew

He hadn’t flown in 50 years, and obviously wasn’t going to start again, but it wasn’t hard to get the replacement.
Gotcha - between mailing off the request and receipt of the card, how long did it take? Based on my situation, looks like that's the only viable option (unless I can somehow source my cert #)

Call your local Flight Standards District Office. They should be able to provide the number and issue a temporary certificate (120 days) while you are waiting on the plastic.

Call your local Flight Standards District Office. They should be able to provide the number and issue a temporary certificate.
Why would they issue a temp?

The Airman branch in OKC can verify the identity, and issue a fax/email for the certificate and also process the plastic one.

Just a quick update, tried the FAA # again and figured out that good old "press 0" took me to an operator. Easily got my Cert #, then ordered the new card online.
Easy peasy!

"Your request for a replacement certificate(s) has been accepted. You should receive your certificate in approximately two weeks. Thanks for using the Airmen Services site."

Just a quick update, tried the FAA # again and figured out that good old "press 0" took me to an operator. Easily got my Cert #, then ordered the new card online.
Easy peasy!

"Your request for a replacement certificate(s) has been accepted. You should receive your certificate in approximately two weeks. Thanks for using the Airmen Services site."
Pro tip: press 0

Got it.

If you want to fly ASAP?
The FSDO can't issue a temp based upon "I wanna go fly asap".

What they can do, is like mentioned previously, is have the airman call Airman Registration Branch or go online : https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/certificate_replacement

And request a replacement certificate.

To fly immediately the branch will issue a fax or email that states your certificates and ratings held and can be used until your new certificate arrives by mail. https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/contact_airmen_certification

Back