Re-certifying an Experimental for IFR Flight

FLA-MAV

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLA
I am looking to purchase an Experimental aircraft (Glasair II), but a number of really good options were originally certified as VFR aircraft. Before I spend the next 2 hours researching this topic, does anyone know the proceedure for re-certifying an experimental for IFR flight? I know that I have to confirm the minimum equipment for IFR flight, but beyond that I am unfamiliar with how to proceed..

Any insight would be appreciated.

Tom
CatAero

First thing to do is look at the aircraft limitations issued by the FAA when it got its Airworthiness Certificate. If one of the limitations has wording similar to...

"May only be flown VFR unless equipped IAW 91.xxx..."

...then you should be good to go. All you would need to do is equip it as required and get the 24 month check done.

Above is correct. You can get on the EAA website and they have a PDF that describes the entry and what equipment is necessary for IFR. Basically comes down to a logbook entry indicating the flight testing is complete, then having the minimum required equipment installed, and then just like any certified aircraft, that equipment is tested/inspected at the intervals in the FARs. I have a Glasair I that has the minimum IFR equipiment as well.

Last edited:
just be careful. there are some with the limitations listed as simply "VFR only". You won't fix those without some fsdo help

Above is correct. You can get on the EAA website and they have a PDF that describes the entry and what equipment is necessary for IFR. Basically comes down to a logbook entry indicating the flight testing is complete, then having the minimum required equipment installed, and then just like any certified aircraft, that equipment is tested/inspected at the intervals in the FARs. I have a Glasair I that has the minimum IFR equipiment as well.

McFly, I was told that the Glasair is very challenging to fly IFR without autopilot- fact or fiction?

McFly, I was told that the Glasair is very challenging to fly IFR without autopilot- fact or fiction?

It's more challenging only because of the sensitivity. The aircraft (if built properly) is a stable plane and mine tracks straight as an arrow. Mine gets a little fish tail going in turbulance but that's only because it's a I. The II is a little bigger and should be more stable than a I. If it's an SII the wing is longer as well, giving it some better docile handling and lower stall. Still if you haven't flown one you'll be surprise at how quickly the aircraft reacts to inputs compared to a certified. It's definitely not dangerous, but after a long IMC flight you'll be a bit tired. I've flown mine IMC without the autopilot several times but they were just short hops with only about 10 mins IMC each time. The guy I bought it from flew for the airlines and he said he flew it hard IFR a bunch.

It's really about just getting used to the aircraft. I fly a Bell 407 for work and it's even more sensitive but yet we still do practice (hood) approaches during quarterly training with no autopilot. At first it's a bear, then you learn to fly with your finger tips with light pressure and it becomes second nature. Same thing in the Glasair. I'd say after 10-15 hours flying VMC you'll be ready for some basic IMC stuff. If the one you're looking at has glass and a good IFR moving map GPS, I think that will relieve some of your workload on the controls compared to steam stuff. Just my opinion.

I really wish I would have saved for the II. Mine is just a little too cramped in shoulder width. You really can't get much better for an all around performing aircraft than a well built II. Priced right, looks fast just sitting on the ground, it is fast in the air, decent cargo in the back, outstanding range, strong landing gear both fixed and retract and a delight to fly aerobatics (with proper training). I know you'll enjoy flying it.:)

Last edited:
Don't the planes that are certified for IFR have some type of metal in the composite material to help with lightning?

Don't the planes that are certified for IFR have some type of metal in the composite material to help with lightning?

For part 23 certified, yes. Homebuilts, not so much.

McFly,

Thank you for the very thorough response. Overall IFR sounds very do-able in the airplane. I still might install an autopilot to help with the workload..

Back