RCO vs RCAG

RCO's (Remote Communication Outlet) are primarily for use by aircraft on the ground, like for getting IFR clearances, canceling IFR, and closing VFR flight plans. They may hook up with either FSS or ATC. RCAG's (Remote Communication - Air/Ground) are primarily for use by airborne aircraft to talk to FSS.

RCO's (Remote Communication Outlet) are primarily for use by aircraft on the ground, like for getting IFR clearances, canceling IFR, and closing VFR flight plans. They may hook up with either FSS or ATC.

Ron,

I believe you're a bit confused. You're describing a GCO above.

GCO = Ground Communications Outlet, goes to ATC or FSS, for ground use only.
RCO = Remote Communications Outlet, goes to FSS, air or ground use
RCAG = Remote Communications Air/Ground, goes to Center.
RTR = Remote Transmitter/Receiver, goes to TRACON.

Straight outta the FAA's own book:

GROUND COMMUNICATION OUTLET (GCO)- An unstaffed, remotely controlled, ground/ground communications facility. Pilots at uncontrolled airports may contact ATC and FSS via VHF to a telephone connection to obtain an instrument clearance or close a VFR or IFR flight plan. They may also get an updated weather briefing prior to takeoff. Pilots will use four "key clicks" on the VHF radio to contact the appropriate ATC facility or six "key clicks" to contact the FSS. The GCO system is intended to be used only on the ground.

REMOTE COMMUNICATIONS AIR/GROUND FACILITY- An unmanned VHF/UHF transmitter/receiver facility which is used to expand ARTCC air/ground communications coverage and to facilitate direct contact between pilots and controllers. RCAG facilities are sometimes not equipped with emergency frequencies 121.5 MHz and 243.0 MHz.

REMOTE COMMUNICATIONS OUTLET- An unmanned communications facility remotely controlled by air traffic personnel. RCOs serve FSSs. RTRs serve terminal ATC facilities. An RCO or RTR may be UHF or VHF and will extend the communication range of the air traffic facility.

Y'know, I love PoA... In the process of proving I'm right, I learn things! :yes: I'd never heard of an RTR, and I didn't know that differing clicks on the GCO's as I highlighted in the quote would control whether it went to ATC or FSS. (That also means that the poster that the Wisconsin Department of Aeronautics puts up showing the GCO's is wrong, as it never mentions ATC at all. Hmmm.)

The A/FD refers to the unit at GAI as an RCO, and it goes directly to Potomac Approach. RCO's are all hardwired to the other end -- sort of like a receiver/transmitter at the airport with a very long mike cord. GCO refers to a system with an r/t unit hooked up to a telephone which you click the mike to activate, then listen to the phone ring before the party answers. Also, not all GCO's hook up to both ATC and FSS, but when they do, the different clicks decide which is dialed. And I've seen RCAG's which don't go to Center.

But it doesn't surprise me that there are right hand/left hand issues at the FAA.

The A/FD refers to the unit at GAI as an RCO, and it goes directly to Potomac Approach.

I can't find that info in the entry for the airport in the A/FD... is it on a special page somewhere else in the A/FD?

Attachments

• gai.jpg
    gai.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 6
The A/FD refers to the unit at GAI as an RCO, and it goes directly to Potomac Approach. RCO's are all hardwired to the other end -- sort of like a receiver/transmitter at the airport with a very long mike cord. GCO refers to a system with an r/t unit hooked up to a telephone which you click the mike to activate, then listen to the phone ring before the party answers. Also, not all GCO's hook up to both ATC and FSS, but when they do, the different clicks decide which is dialed. And I've seen RCAG's which don't go to Center.

But it doesn't surprise me that there are right hand/left hand issues at the FAA.

Ron,

Wouldn't surprise me either... You're right about the hardwired vs. phone. In another post I haven't finished at the moment, I also went through and found that of the 23 GCO's in Wisconsin, only four allow both ATC and FSS communications (and none were ATC-only, the other 19 were FSS only).

But looking in the A/FD entry for GAI I do not see anything indicating they have an RCO. Here is the entire Communications section for GAI:

A/FD said:
COMMUNICATIONS: CTAF/UNICOM 123.075
LEESBURG FSS (DCA) TF 1–800–WX–BRIEF. NOTAM FILE DCA.
(R) POTOMAC APP/DEP CON 128.7 POTOMAC CLNC DEL 121.6

The (R) is an R with a circle around it, which indicates Radar approach and departure control. No RCO is listed. Am I missing something? :dunno:

EDIT: Based on the other stuff I've been looking at, it appears that the 128.7 frequency to Potomac at GAI is simply an RTR. I haven't found a source that ever specifically calls an RTR an RTR.

Last edited:
GCO = Ground Communications Outlet, goes to ATC or FSS, for ground use only.
RCO = Remote Communications Outlet, goes to FSS, air or ground use
RCAG = Remote Communications Air/Ground, goes to Center.
RTR = Remote Transmitter/Receiver, goes to TRACON.

Whoops... Meant to include some examples here.

I'd also intended to provide some examples. It looks like in Wisconsin there are 23 GCO's. 19 of them go to FSS (most note "FLIGHT SERVICES" but one did still say "GREEN BAY FSS," RIP. :() The other four go to both FSS and an ATC facility which is noted in the A/FD. For example, Morey (C29):

GCO 121.725 (FLIGHT SERVICES and MADISON APP CON)

As for RCO's, we have one right on the field at MSN:

MADISON RCO 122.6 (GREEN BAY FSS)

There is nothing about RCAG's in the A/FD at all, but I knew I'd seen it before, and sho'nuff: Airnav. This gives an interesting example of the differences in the presentation of data between the A/FD and Airnav. For example, here is the communications section for C29 from each:

A/FD said:
CTAF/UNICOM123.0
GREEN BAY FSS (GRB) TF 1–800–WX–BRIEF. NOTAM FILE GRB.
(R) MADISON APP/DEP CON 135.45 (1200–0500Z‡) (R) CHICAGO CENTER APP/DEP CON 133.3 (0500–1200Z‡)
GCO 121.725 (FLIGHT SERVICES and MADISON APP CON)

Airnav said:
CTAF/UNICOM: 123.0
MADISON APPROACH: 135.45 [0600-2300]
MADISON DEPARTURE: 135.45 [0600-2300]
WX ASOS at MSN (9 nm E): PHONE 608-249-0615

• APCH/DEP SVC PRVDD BY CHICAGO ARTCC ON FREQS 133.3/380.35 (LONE ROCK RCAG) WHEN MADISON APCH CTL CLSD.

Note how Airnav splits out the after-hours approach/departure service, specifically mentioning the RCAG, while the A/FD notes the GCO whereas airnav shows the GCO down under "Additional Remarks."

And finally, the RTR. I know there is an RTR at RYV which goes to Madison Approach on frequency 119.15 but while the A/FD and Airnav both mention that in the Communications section, there isn't a notation anywhere stating that it's an RTR.

Thanks folks, I learned something today. :yes:

Last edited:
With the recent "Weak IFR Clearance Skills" revival, I figured this thread is relevant enough to deserve a bump. And I wanted to review the stuff I learned posting here. :yes:

Kent..I learned a lot in the last five minutes...thanks for resurrecting this thread...

With the recent "Weak IFR Clearance Skills" revival, I figured this thread is relevant enough to deserve a bump. And I wanted to review the stuff I learned posting here. :yes:

Kent..I learned a lot in the last five minutes...thanks for resurrecting this thread...

You're welcome. I learned a lot when I first researched my posts above, and I needed a review too... It's good stuff! :yes:

Back