Ratio of Number of landings to hours flown?

jspilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jspilot
I was totalling up a page in my logbook after a flight I took today and it brought a question to mind. I currently have 72.4 hours and just over 140 landings. Since I've gotten my PPL license I've only been making 1( local flights) or 2 landings a flight. So I was curious if others out there would share the number of landings they have with their total hours so we can all see where we fit in with others of similar hours/experience.

I'm interessted because it seems like some pilots probably have way more landings per flight hour if they work the pattern often vs others like myself who like to go flying rather than practicing pattern work.

Last edited:
Good grief, not a clue. However so far, the number of landings equal the number of take offs.:wink2:

I'm interested because it seems like some pilots probably have way more landings per flight hour if they work the pattern often vs others like myself who like to go flying rather than practicing pattern work.

101 landings in my last 105 hours. I'm at 3300 total hours.

25.4 hours and 72 landings in the last 12 months.
0.5 hours and 3 landings today (2 stop and go, 1 full stop)

Don't fly much cross country...

228 total time, 156.5 tailwheel.

I stopped logging them, other than required for currency. Some days I'll fly 12 hours and get 1 landing. Some days I fly 3 hours and get 20 landings. In reality, they probably even out to 1:1, hours to landings.

I was making an average of 4 landings per flight hour as a student. It's probably closer to 1.5 now. I really worked on good landings.

I probably average 3 hours-1 landing. Training and Ag made for a lot of landings, but 2/3rds of 2500+hrs has been max range personal, photo survey, & pipeline inspection where I land every 5+hrs.

Last edited:
According to my logbook, 2.4.

I pulled out my log book. Here is what it is.

1,133 landings in 424.5 hours flight time. 2.66 landings per hour of flight time.

And all this with only one eye.

There, I hope your happy now. :D

-John

My numbers are skewed. A good tow pilot averages 5-6 landings per hour on a busy day.
My last trip across the country and back had 1 landing every 3.5 to 4 hours.

Interesting topic. I average 2.7... Seems to be roughly the "norm", so far...

I'm not sure, but the amount of landings has significantly dropped off since I've been flying SIC.

161.6 hours, 372 landings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's one of the columns I'm STILL fixing in my electronic logbook, since it's got an obvious error and it's not required on the 8710. I'll get back to ya. Haha.

209 hours, 620 landings. Roughly 3 landings per hour. Part of that is getting Private ASEL, tailwheel, and Sport Pilot/Gyroplane in that 200 hours, which meant lots of transitioning to different aircraft with the attendant proficiency practice.

Most of us will probably log the most landings-per-hour as students, unless we tow banners.

Haven't added it up in a while, but it's getting to the point I can go 30-60hrs between landings. The overall average is nothing like that. It's just a more recent happening. Nature of long haul flying. Doing round trips to China lends itself to a lot fewer landings than bouncing back and forth between hubs and outstations 100+ times a month.

Interesting question, but totally mission dependent. When flying for my rich uncle it wasn't unusual to log 10 hours between landings. Like most, I only log for currency requirements so I have no idea how they average out.

A rather new pilot here, 3.28 landings per hour. That's mostly training, for the past few months it's been a little over two per hour.

Good grief, not a clue. However so far, the number of landings equal the number of take offs.:wink2:
I was gonna say, I don't think the hours:landings are the important ratio. So long as your landings:takeoffs ratio is pretty damn close to 1:1, you're doing it right.

For me:
.49 landings/hr. I suspect that was a much much higher number back in my training/1900 days.

just under 900 hours and just over 1900 landings. Used to do a lot of landings in the tailwheelers for fun.

Frank

2.7 landings per flight hour.

I think tailwheel training and all the glider sled rides during the no-lift days last season skewed it slightly.

I stopped logging them, other than required for currency. Some days I'll fly 12 hours and get 1 landing. Some days I fly 3 hours and get 20 landings. In reality, they probably even out to 1:1, hours to landings.

You must be a LOP-operating wizard. All props due. :D

All personal part 91 ops - I'm close to a 1:1 ratio.

Immediately after my checkride, my ratio was 3.27. Now, 9.5 years later, it's only come down to 2.46. I just don't do all that many really long XCs I guess, I still do a lot of <1 hour legs. :dunno:

I'm at about 3.44. I did LOTS of landings while trying to solo the taildragger and LOTS of hours in the pattern after soloing to improve and feel more comfortable. I still get in the pattern and shoot stop and go's. In fact the last time I flew, Saturday, I worked on my Wheel Landings.

After reading the posts here I thought that my ratio would be a lot higher than it turned out to be.

Back