Raspberry Pi 3

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
I am thinking about moving my home Asterisk/FreePBX system off of a server VM and onto a Raspberry Pi. Is it possible to configure these things without a USB keyboard? With the RP3, can you pair a BT keyboard for configuration, or does the base image boot up with an IP so that you can ssh for the config?

Thanks,
JKG

I just used a serial console on the pi 2. Last I checked, there were some issues with serial on the pi 3. They may or may not have been ironed out by now.

Serial should work for me. Thanks for the confirmation.

Just don't try to take pretty flash workbench pictures of the bottom side of the board... ;)

(Or the top side of the RPi 2. Grin..)

The tricky part is knowing what IP it got from your DHCP server. Other than that, piece of cake.

That shouldn't be a problem in my case, but I wasn't sure whether the base image defaulted to DHCP or not. Thanks for the link.

JKG

One other question for the Pi guys: I know these things aren't enterprise grade, but for what I want to do are they pretty reliable in continuous operation?

JKG

One other question for the Pi guys: I know these things aren't enterprise grade, but for what I want to do are they pretty reliable in continuous operation?

If provided clean power with no spikes and kept cool, and probably not overclocked, they're decent. Folks who use them outdoors or hooked to outdoor antennas for ham radio stuff usually see them fried in the first year in lightning prone places, via their USB which usually has an SDR or similar plugged into it. But in a controlled environment they tend to run for long periods of time. Just don't shuffle across the carpet in winter and touch them or their cables. Ha.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard for my Pi2+. I understand the Pi3 has the same capability. Yes it uses a USB Bluetooth dongle.

I am ordering the Pi3 and new radio reciever sets to upgrade my Pi2 STRATUX on single frequency to Pi3 with dual frequency capability. The Pi3 also has built in WiFi. The new STRATUX case keeps the shorter antennas in the case and adds a cooling fan.

Back