Rare model airplane - what to do with it?

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
For probably thirty years this model airplane has been displayed on a shelf in our home. Marching orders are to thin out the bric-a-brac, so I'm trying to find it a worthy home.

It's a model of a Douglas C-132, a huge military transport project that got to the mock-up stage in the late 1950s, then was canceled. Had it been built it would have been the largest US transport up until the C-5.

This appears to be a model made for Douglas corporate use. It is heavy, chrome-plated metal, 10" wingspan, and weighs about 2-1/2 pounds. It could use some polish but is otherwise in excellent condition. I got it at a garage sale; I hate to see it leave the same way.

Our local air museum is not interested in it. Any ideas for a museum or collection that might want it?

Attachments

• P1020757.jpg
    P1020757.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 82
  • P1020758.jpg
    P1020758.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 32
  • P1020760.jpg
    P1020760.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 33
Try other AF museums. Travis or Castle are two which come to mind. I KNOW Castle would want it.

If the AF Bases mentioned above don't want it, maybe Douglas (Boeing) has a home for it. Then, try the Smithsonian.

-Skip

Donate it to a group that would auction it off to support a (good) charitable aviation cause.

Take it to the Arlington Flyin Flee market.

Are you interested in selling or just finding a good home? Friend of mine flew the C-132. I'm betting he would jump on that like a fat kid on a donut.

The "Spike Cutler Aviation Collection"

Just don't tell my wife.

Sure that wasn't a C-133? Everything I read said the C-132 never got past mock-up stage.
"133, 132 ... whatever it takes!" :goofy: my bad... t'was a 130-something (I think) ...

Thanks for the suggestions, all. My first preference is for it to go to a museum. I've sent an e-mail to the Museum of Flight in Seattle.

By the way, I found on e-bay another Douglas chrome model by the same modelmaker -- a DC-8, doubtless of the same vintage; same general size, etc. Winning bid was $199.

Maxwell AFB's library had several of those chrome airplane models.

Back