[Rant] Waste Management ???

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
We are going on three days late for our trash being picked up along our county road. Several of the neighbors have called the county to complain but it seems not to have helped. The lady for the county sanitation dept said it wasn't their problem and to stop complaining to them. We arn't allowed to take the trash to the dump ourselves without a hefty fine.

Who thought it was a good idea to contract out waste services to WM???

Half the time the trash is late getting picked up. I often have to drag our can out of the 6' ditch because the trucks can't seem to not launch the cans across the driveway. It's just ridiculous how horrible this company can be.

That sucks. Hope no one is getting paid for slacking off and not doing their job. Complain and complain until its fixed :)

This is Arkansas.....burn it.

You gotta be the squeaky wheel...but with documentation, otherwise you are just another crabby old crazy guy with a chip on his shoulder.

Compile an email list of county supervisors, county staff, WM staff, WM district management and send pictures and service failures every time it happens and CC everybody.

The grunts in the trenches could care less. But if WM management sees these complaints with documentation going to the board that is the only way there will be action.

I find it appropriate to post this one here. Marked as favorite in my YT collection. I don't know what it is but it has me ROFL every time. :D

WM in my area went from 25 bucks a month to 45 bucks a month. I had them bring me a new can, and I get the wheels replaced every 4 months. And if they miss one pickup, I call them the next day to come pick up what they missed or subtract that pickup from my bill. So far they have been very accommodating. They use GPS routing for the pick ups so there is no sense in missing a day.

This is Arkansas.....burn it.

My grandmother would just dig a truck sized hole and bury it. *Shakes Head*

You gotta be the squeaky wheel...but with documentation, otherwise you are just another crabby old crazy guy with a chip on his shoulder.

Compile an email list of county supervisors, county staff, WM staff, WM district management and send pictures and service failures every time it happens and CC everybody.

The grunts in the trenches could care less. But if WM management sees these complaints with documentation going to the board that is the only way there will be action.

Yeah, that's is one thing I forgot to do. So if they keep it up I'll start documenting.

Did the county contract out with WM? I know in some places homeowners are responsible for their own trash removal and in those places there are usually different companies that compete for your business.

I have WM. No issues.

Looks like the folks who manage your local branch suck.

Sort your trash. Anything with you personal info gets shredded or burned. Stuff that's going to stink goes into the bag in the chest freezer. Recycling goes in its own container. My local Kroger has huge recycling dumpsters I swing by on my way to or from work once a week or so. The bad, stinky, stuff ends up being the smallest volume and I remove it from the freezer (no stink when frozen) and drop it in one of several dumpsters I routinely use.

The county contracted out its sanitation to WM. Little Rock uses their own department, so WM is only for areas outside the city.

My aunt, immediate neighbors are family, told me yesterday that she drove up the road and noticed lack of pick ups for several miles.

Don't know about where you live but here if you put your trash in others peoples dumpsters you get a ticket and pay a fine if they catch you.
For many years I used my work dumpster, my daughter's apartment dumpster, now pretty much any I choose. I'm only putting one bag in and not filling a dumpster up with renovation trash or furniture like I see some people do. 30 + years running.

I take stuff toe the airport dumpster. As above not a lot left after recycling. I'm paying for the airport service with our ground lease.

That's what you get for living out in the sticks. Live closer to civilization and you wouldn't have this problem.

Reminds me of a controversy that erupted a few years back in another town I lived in. People on the way, way outskirts were complaining that it took too dang long for ambulances to get to them. Too bad. If you want quick ambulance service, live closer to where the ambulances are! I'm not paying for extra ambulances so you can live all by yourself in the wilderness.

I'm only putting one bag in

I take stuff to the airport dumpster. As above not a lot left after recycling.

So stealing a little is less egregious than stealing a lot. Got it.

Reminds me of all the "good moral people" I know who would never steal something from a store but who "share" trash service with their neighbor. i.e. one neighbor pays for service but both neighbors' combine trash into one bin and set it by the curb. Each pays 50% of the service.

That's not stealing either...right?

BTW, two members of my family (in different towns) participate in this scam...and go to church every Sunday of course.:rolleyes:

It's donating, (making a deposit) not stealing;) and it's just to **** you off! The trash is gonna get picked up no matter what's in it. Judge yourself.

Last edited:
If I had to pay for my trash hauling by the pound, I guess I would consider it stealing. Since I don't get charged that way ... ???

I know who would never steal something from a store but who "share" trash service with their neighbor. i.e. one neighbor pays for service but both neighbors' combine trash into one bin and set it by the curb. Each pays 50% of the service.
:rolleyes:

Depends on how you look at it. In my neighborhood you have the choice of three refuse can sizes and subsequent rates...so in our area you are paying for volume of trash discarded. If two families pay and share for one service that only fill one can I do not see that as stealing...otherwise essentially it would be a forced tax that everyone has to pay for garbage service regardless of volume.

That's what you get for living out in the sticks. Live closer to civilization and you wouldn't have this problem.

Actually, his problem is not that he is living in the boonies. His problem is that the county decided to get its cut by centralizing trash collection.
I live in a county that leaves me the option to either drive to the county dump myself or to contract with one of about 8 different trash haulers. If a the one you have sucks, you cancel the contract and try a different one. I happen to use WM, but I could use one of the small owner-operator outfits.

In my neighborhood there is no municipal contract. You hire your own trash pickup. This means at least three different companies drive trash trucks through the neighborhood on various days; WM and two mom and pops. I have a huge trash bin, which they provided, and I sometimes have only a few tiny bags of trash. But they also pick up recycling. Years ago I would take my trash in to work. Until they fenced the airport. Now it's too much bother. I never considered it "stealing", though. I have thought about getting together with my neighbor because the service seems pretty expensive for the amount of trash I produce (about $75/quarter).

In my neighborhood there is no municipal contract. You hire your own trash pickup. This means at least three different companies drive trash trucks through the neighborhood on various days; WM and two mom and pops.

That's the downside of the free market solution. You also have trash cans out every day. I just moved, in the new neighborhood the HOA has contracted with WM to do the entire neighborhood once a week.

My neighborhood has two different trash collection companies pick up on the same day except recycle is every other week and they pick up on opposite weeks. That's three trucks, what a waste of resources.

Depends on how you look at it. In my neighborhood you have the choice of three refuse can sizes and subsequent rates...so in our area you are paying for volume of trash discarded. If two families pay and share for one service that only fill one can I do not see that as stealing...

I completely agree in that case.

Oh...and I don't pretend to be some kind of a saint. I just don't lead a double life...

I am what I am and that's all what I am.

So stealing a little is less egregious than stealing a lot. Got it.

Reminds me of all the "good moral people" I know who would never steal something from a store but who "share" trash service with their neighbor. i.e. one neighbor pays for service but both neighbors' combine trash into one bin and set it by the curb. Each pays 50% of the service.

BTW, two members of my family (in different towns) participate in this scam...and go to church every Sunday of course.:rolleyes:

They get almost $100/month from my ground lease. I don't consider it stealing but something I've paid for.

You may not see yourself as thief, but depending on where you are, putting your trash in someone else's dumpster without their permission is covered under the 'theft of services' law.

Can't be true. I've read posts all over this board about how polite and considerate all you rebels are.

People pull over and stop their cars when he drives his trash to the airport.

Obviously, lots of people just throw their trash out along the roadways nowadays ;(

And some of them are not smart enough to keep identifying material out of their trash. They look stupid when the cops show up at their door.

I do not have the time this morning to write up my Waste Management novel but it is a classic...

I do know this for sure:

Each and every time you call WM to complain, they generate a new incident #...I think we were at 60 something when the problem got solved. It has been smooth as glass since then...going on 8 years of picture perfect service.

Be the squeaky wheel...document...you will get their attention. It may take persistence and the enlistment of a few of your neighbors...

The lady said it "isn't her problem".

Challenge accepted!

A local trash company that wants to stick it to WM, a truck parked strategically as a "Waste Management Failure Collection Point" in the parking lot of the next county commissioner's meeting, and an invite to the Press...

Back