[rant]Pins in new clothes[rant]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
The last time I remember it I was maybe ten, twelve years old? No, that was the first time I remember it. Sitting there on the floor. Bloody. The nice new white dress shirt ripped and stained with blood. I didn't see them at first. The damn thing wouldn't unfold. OUCH!!!!!!! What the h....

Yeah. What, exactly, the hell? We all know that there are bad perps out there that will stick pins in little kids' halloween candies, but why would someone do that to a little kid's SHIRT??? Okay I found it. I removed it. I found another. I removed it. I found another. I removed it. The damn thing still wouldn't unfold. Out of frustration, I ripped it apart. I put it on. Pins were jabbing my flesh. Ripping at my flesh.

Mommmmmmmiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

The next time, as a drunken teen. Same end result. I didn't scream for mommy. I did scream, out of pain, frustration, anger and rage. The shirt was trashed. I think maybe one more time in my adult life after than and then I swore I would never buy another shirt or whatever that came prepackaged with pins. Well I never did buy them. They were given to me. If I buy a shirt, it's coming off a rack.

It's getting cold outside. This means it's getting cold inside. It's a simple law of thermodynamics that setting nighttime temperatures to 68 and below during the winter helps to reduce the law of economics. It occurs to me that now that we are in heat mode, the typical tank top and gym shorts that I always wear to bed may be just a little light. Yes I wear my gym clothes to bed. The moment I wake up, I jump out of bed, make pee pees, slap my shoes on, grab my gym bag and head towards the fitness valhalla. Now, I remember that, probably at least twenty years ago, when I was still trading useless presents with the folks at Christmas time, I had a pair or two of pajamas, never opened. I think I have gotten rid of the fifteen or so pairs of house slippers by now.

No 'use by' date. So good so far, I rip the yellowing plastic packaging away, pull out a very stiff cardboard like folded pajama set, which was in fact a folded pajama set affixed to a large square piece of cardboard (why?) and to my horror...

Pins. F(U$#*&%ING bastard little pins. Fing OUCH!!!!! Find a tiny little invisible pin. Remove it. Find another. Remove it. Find another Remove it. Get everything sorted out. Put them on. So far so good. So I go to plop down on the sofa.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! FUUUUUUUUU*$^%#&(*%#%$#$UFK!!!!!!

Yeah. I had to dig that one out. Hopefully the blood will come out of the sofa. Why. Why. Whywhywhywhywhy. Was it REALLY NECESSARY to BOOBY TRAP new clothes with SHARP PIECING OBJECTS????????

Okay, new problem. Add insult to injury. These aren't big fat pins like moms used to use for sowing and for whatnot. These are tiny little bastages you can't even see. I tried throwing them away in the rubbish can in the bathroom. But, I wanted to be on the safe side so I tried jabbing them in a dried Clorox wipe so they wouldn't be loose. Smooth move, ex lax (or in this case Dracula) because the GD things are SO HARD TO SEE I tried pushing them in, head first. So they embedded themselves in my thumb, not the Clorox wipe. In my fit of rage, I yanked them out and sent them flying. No telling when I will find one with my toes.

Am I the only one that gets angered by pins in clothes? I get sewing pins. They have a role in society. That role is to aid in sewing. Those pins are removed when the sewing operation is complete.

You’re showing your age Sac. I haven’t seen straight pins in clothing in years and I’ll bet a lot of Millennials are saying “what’s a pin”.

You’re showing your age Sac. I haven’t seen straight pins in clothing in years and I’ll bet a lot of Millennials are saying “what’s a pin”.
I knew what pins were 28 years ago when I got my first shirt that had them. I'm sure there are alot of us millennials that know exactly what these pins are.

So now you have a large supply of tiny sharp pins, and Halloween is coming. All you need are some apples. What's your complaint?

Apples? Apples haven't been a Halloween handout since well before my time. If I dropped an apple in the kids' bags here, it would probably end up coming back through the window. They want the good stuff. Reeses. Mars Bars. Kit Kats. Almond Joy.

I'm trying to remember the last time I had pins in clothes. It has been a while. But yes, they had a way of letting you know they were there. Either when you first opened it, or afterwards.

I remember all those pins. Never had too much of a problem finding them because the shirt couldn't be unfolded if you didn't. Not sure why they had to put like 18 pins in one shirt. Especially confusing were the two pins and plastic insert on the top collar button along with two pins in each sleeve cuff. That always seemed like overkill to me. The only positive was you definitely had a neatly folded shirt in the package--if that was important to you! :cheerswine:

Apples? Apples haven't been a Halloween handout since well before my time. If I dropped an apple in the kids' bags here, it would probably end up coming back through the window. They want the good stuff. Reeses. Mars Bars. Kit Kats. Almond Joy.
Heaven forbid you trick instead of giving a treat when they say "trick OR treat"

Last edited:
This is a rant I can support. No time change ever pricked me in the webbing of my fingers when I least expected it.

Are you assuming that Millennials have never purchased/received a new button-down dress shirt?

Are you assuming that Millennials have never purchased/received a new button-down dress shirt?
Not that I shop at very fancy stores, but the ones I've purchased in the last few years had a bunch of little white clips which were (I assume) in lieu of the pins. I'd also assume this prevents little holes being in the shirts?

Edit - like this:Screenshot_20221025-143147-418.png

That's quite a leap. I think you need to fill in some blanks here. I can't follow how "many clothing companies don't use straight pins anymore and therefore some people don't know what they are" implies "millennials don't buy clothing"

The last time I remember it I was maybe ten, twelve years old? No, that was the first time I remember it. Sitting there on the floor. Bloody. The nice new white dress shirt ripped and stained with blood. I didn't see them at first. The damn thing wouldn't unfold. OUCH!!!!!!! What the h....

Yeah. What, exactly, the hell? We all know that there are bad perps out there that will stick pins in little kids' halloween candies, but why would someone do that to a little kid's SHIRT??? Okay I found it. I removed it. I found another. I removed it. I found another. I removed it. The damn thing still wouldn't unfold. Out of frustration, I ripped it apart. I put it on. Pins were jabbing my flesh. Ripping at my flesh.

Mommmmmmmiiiiiiiieeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!

The next time, as a drunken teen. Same end result. I didn't scream for mommy. I did scream, out of pain, frustration, anger and rage. The shirt was trashed. I think maybe one more time in my adult life after than and then I swore I would never buy another shirt or whatever that came prepackaged with pins. Well I never did buy them. They were given to me. If I buy a shirt, it's coming off a rack.

It's getting cold outside. This means it's getting cold inside. It's a simple law of thermodynamics that setting nighttime temperatures to 68 and below during the winter helps to reduce the law of economics. It occurs to me that now that we are in heat mode, the typical tank top and gym shorts that I always wear to bed may be just a little light. Yes I wear my gym clothes to bed. The moment I wake up, I jump out of bed, make pee pees, slap my shoes on, grab my gym bag and head towards the fitness valhalla. Now, I remember that, probably at least twenty years ago, when I was still trading useless presents with the folks at Christmas time, I had a pair or two of pajamas, never opened. I think I have gotten rid of the fifteen or so pairs of house slippers by now.

No 'use by' date. So good so far, I rip the yellowing plastic packaging away, pull out a very stiff cardboard like folded pajama set, which was in fact a folded pajama set affixed to a large square piece of cardboard (why?) and to my horror...

Pins. F(U$#*&%ING bastard little pins. Fing OUCH!!!!! Find a tiny little invisible pin. Remove it. Find another. Remove it. Find another Remove it. Get everything sorted out. Put them on. So far so good. So I go to plop down on the sofa.

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! FUUUUUUUUU*$^%#&(*%#%$#$UFK!!!!!!

Yeah. I had to dig that one out. Hopefully the blood will come out of the sofa. Why. Why. Whywhywhywhywhy. Was it REALLY NECESSARY to BOOBY TRAP new clothes with SHARP PIECING OBJECTS????????

Okay, new problem. Add insult to injury. These aren't big fat pins like moms used to use for sowing and for whatnot. These are tiny little bastages you can't even see. I tried throwing them away in the rubbish can in the bathroom. But, I wanted to be on the safe side so I tried jabbing them in a dried Clorox wipe so they wouldn't be loose. Smooth move, ex lax (or in this case Dracula) because the GD things are SO HARD TO SEE I tried pushing them in, head first. So they embedded themselves in my thumb, not the Clorox wipe. In my fit of rage, I yanked them out and sent them flying. No telling when I will find one with my toes.

Am I the only one that gets angered by pins in clothes? I get sewing pins. They have a role in society. That role is to aid in sewing. Those pins are removed when the sewing operation is complete.
My first job was at a clothes factory. I was a shirt folder.

watch out if you get folded up underwear for xmas

This is a rant I can support. No time change ever pricked me in the webbing of my fingers when I least expected it.
"By the pricking of my shirt, Sac Arrow flings the dirt...."

Ron Wanttaja

That's quite a leap. I think you need to fill in some blanks here. I can't follow how "many clothing companies don't use straight pins anymore and therefore some people don't know what they are" implies "millennials don't buy clothing"
My point is, even the youngest of the Millennial group is now 26. Most of them are well into their 30s and even 40s. They know what a pin is, and have likely had at least a few dress shirts over the years packaged with said pins. It was just an odd association to mention Millennials at all, unless you just think that anyone young is a Millennial.

Back in the day when I used to travel 4 - 5 days/week, I got my shirts pressed and folded from the dry cleaner to avoid ironing in my hotel room. They used pins to hold the fold and the collar together. Had to deal with pins every day.

Back in the day when I used to travel 4 - 5 days/week, I got my shirts pressed and folded from the dry cleaner to avoid ironing in my hotel room. They used pins to hold the fold and the collar together. Had to deal with pins every day.
Were you mean to the dry cleaner or something?

My mother's sewing room had a thick shag carpet. As a real little kid I went running in full tilt, stepped on one of those thing and drove that sob into my foot right up to the head. Kinda set the tone for my relationship with pins for life.

I also ran into removing pins from new shirts. After a while, I realized that the cheaper the shirt, the smaller the pin. The pins from really cheap shirts went into the trash. The pins from the more expensive shirts (and I hardly ever got one of those) went into the sewing kit. I never ripped a shirt, nor got blood on it from a hidden pin.

I didn't take the picture, and I didn't bother to stick the pin back in the bottom of my foot to take the picture, but suffice to say that I found the errant pin that went flying last night, Re. my original post.

Back