random video, short field landings, nice gopro setup

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
This isn't mine, I just saw it on the interwebs and thought it was a pretty nice setup, 4 camera's. Its cool to be able to see all the instruments.

Those were excellent landings.

Since its in my nature to look at every little detail, one thing I might fault is that once he turns final, his head and eyes are locked straight ahead.

I would encourage students to keep glancing left and right, looking for traffic that might be converging.

But overall, nice setup and well flown approaches and landings.

I like that he was out flying in a light rain. Could not tell how high the ceiling was, but visibility was not much above 5-6 miles.?

Yeah, getting a free airplane wash and taking some paint off the prop. All good. Heh.

Like the video format.

I didn't like that it looked like he had a slight left crosswind and after touchdown the ailerons stayed centered. I fall into his trap at times also, but you can't be so focused on the touchdown that you stop flying the wing on the rollout. On the first he should have fed in at least a little aileron and taken it out. On the full stop landing at the end, the aileron should have ended up hard over into the wind.

This is CoopAir, he's a good guy, can't recall how often he posts here anymore...bestforwardspeed is his username if I recall correctly

Nice video,that's what flying is about. Wish I could afford that go pro set up.

Makes me want to get a GoPro looking at the nose wheel to better assess my landings. I like the no nose wheel T&G.

Makes me want to get a GoPro looking at the nose wheel to better assess my landings. I like the no nose wheel T&G.

I've tried two locations that show the nose wheel:

Strut Mount:

Tail mount:

Pretty proud of my nailing the centerline*, but I'll stipulate it's easier in a tandem plane.

I used to have my students transition from a soft-field landing to a soft-field takeoff, without letting the nosewheel touch - it's a great exercise!

*Except for the second strut mount landing, where I was already anticipating the 180 on the runway.

This is CoopAir, he's a good guy, can't recall how often he posts here anymore...bestforwardspeed is his username if I recall correctly

He recently(within the last few months) posted a really nice "in and out of IMC" video, so I assume he's still around.

I've tried two locations that show the nose wheel:

Do you aim for the threshold? Or the grass before the threshold? That first landing on the tail view makes it look like you're gonna touch the grass. Maybe its just that view?

Do you aim for the threshold? Or the grass before the threshold? That first landing on the tail view makes it look like you're gonna touch the grass. Maybe its just that view?

I often aim at a point just short of the runway threshold - I have a pretty good handle on how far my roundout/flare will take me.

I've landed short of the runway exactly once in about a 40 year flying career - kicked up some gravel with the tailwheel a Citabria on RWY 9R at Opa Locka decades ago - no harm done and I guess its how you learn your limits.

But the wide angle invariably makes approaches look lower/flatter/scarier than they are in real life.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Back