Random drug test for aerial photography?

Flyingfanatic

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flying Fanatic
If I conduct a flight within 25 nm, with a photographer, for the purpose of aerial photography, does that fall under 91.147? I don't believe that it does as I would not be conducting the flight for sightseeing, but rather to produce pictures.

This is assuming a commercial pilot.

I also interpret 91.147 for someone who does sightseeing rides more than once and holds out to the public. If a friend says, "Hey, I want to go see the fall colors near the airport." I don't think I need to be drug tested and have a LOA. If I'm advertising at work, different story.

What say you?

If I conduct a flight within 25 nm, with a photographer, for the purpose of aerial photography, does that fall under 91.147? I don't believe that it does as I would not be conducting the flight for sightseeing, but rather to produce pictures.

This is assuming a commercial pilot.

I also interpret 91.147 for someone who does sightseeing rides more than once and holds out to the public. If a friend says, "Hey, I want to go see the fall colors near the airport." I don't think I need to be drug tested and have a LOA. If I'm advertising at work, different story.

What say you?

The only difference I am aware of now when you do a photo mission is that the 25sm limitation disappears. If you have a pax for hire, you have to deal with pee testing. You have the choice of signing into a random program or just getting one every 90 days.

Case closed. I had read an older version of 91.147 which addressed "commercial sightseeing". It is now clear that any pax for hire requires random drug test.

Back