Ramp Rot Pics

Always hurts to see these aircraft going into dis repair .

Looks a lot like the USSR glory days put to pasture.

Agreed :(. They are like me...stuck on the ground, not enough money to keep flying.

not really an excuse for letting a plane rot. I was out of work and my plane sat for 5 months. I still went out and would taxi it over to the wash rack and keep it clean. it was also a good way to keep the oil from settling in the sump im sure.

There's a 421 (not an A, B, or C) on field that hasn't been moved in so long it's about to have trees growing through the fuselage. Could win an ugly Jeep contest.

BVS management will not allow any derelict aircraft set on the ramp. they contact the owner of record and make arrangements to either care for the aircraft or remove it from the airport.

Except for 2 they have locked down for lack of back rent.

What's in the hangars? who knows, who cares, they are out of site, and out of mind.

not really an excuse for letting a plane rot. I was out of work and my plane sat for 5 months. I still went out and would taxi it over to the wash rack and keep it clean. it was also a good way to keep the oil from settling in the sump im sure.

That does more damage to the inside of the engine than not running it at all.

Dan

Took this in Africa a few years ago. A Cherokee in the background and a Siai-Marchetti in the foreground. Their owners hadn't paid their maintenance bills so the shop had disabled them and parked them. The wind was banging the Cherokee's cowling around and gradually tearing it off. Both airplanes were well-sunken into the sand.

Dan

Attachments

• Africa1 241.jpg
    Africa1 241.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 321
Really depends upon how long he runs it and how hot he gets it.

I don't think you'll get the oil temps up to 180F or better on the ground without running full throttle for a long time.

In the first post those planes are probably repairable not really so bad. In fact I flew the V35 two years ago. its one of my old clubs planes, it just needs a new engine but its been sitting like that for about a year.

these planes are another story. they are the planes on my row.

kilo row RHV

this moony is really bad

Seriously sad.

I took this picture of this RV rotting away also.

RV-81.jpg

Okay, I lied. :dunno:

Any RV on the ground is rotting away. :rofl:

Seriously, guys, stop living in the sad world and celebrate flight! :mad2:

I'm close to pulling this trigger on this baby. Look out Jay! You are toast! :rofl:

Only losers let their planes get like those above. Don't be a loser. :yes:

Last edited:
You have to draw the line some where. If you can't afford the plane sell it. Don't be one of those guys that lets their plane get to this point. If you lose interest in flying sell the plane or give it away. Letting it rot on the ramp is bad for aviation.

It's a good thing they stuffed a rag into the end of the crankshaft on the Mooney. Wouldn't want anything to get in there that could cause damage!:rofl:

Last edited:

Good way to put water in the engine and cause more rust than not

At the bottom of the link, Dick Goodman is looking for the phone number of the owner in 2006...

Sigh...

Flightaware shows that N-number last flew into SCJ in 2002. The registered owner (Wosox, Inc.) is a DE Corp formed in 1997. It lists an address in Milpitas, CA, that is a private house. That house was last sold in 1979, so either the owner still lives there, or its a rental. Sending a letter there (registered?) might be a good way to start.

Can anyone report success acquiring an idle aircraft by cold-calling? Even second-hand anecdotally?

I don't think you'll get the oil temps up to 180F or better on the ground without running full throttle for a long time.
I wonder why the cylinder manufacturers worry about owners of new engines cooking the cylinders on new or freshly overhauled engines because of cooling problems during ground ops.

yes you can over heat the engine on the ground.

I'll admit that setting and idling for 5 minutes and shutting down is not good.

the reason most of the aircraft I see here are not worth the cost of bringing them back into service simply because the buyers will not pay the prices it costs to restore them.

Really depends upon how long he runs it and how hot he gets it.

He said he taxis it over to the wash stand. It would take a five-hour taxi in 110°F weather to get it hot enough.

Dan

I wonder why the cylinder manufacturers worry about owners of new engines cooking the cylinders on new or freshly overhauled engines because of cooling problems during ground ops.

yes you can over heat the engine on the ground.

I'll admit that setting and idling for 5 minutes and shutting down is not good.

Easy to cook new cylinders long before the oil temp gets hot enough. One of the disadvantages of aircooled engines, I guess.

Dan

Easy to cook new cylinders long before the oil temp gets hot enough. One of the disadvantages of aircooled engines, I guess.

Dan

How so, when the major cooling factor in air cooled engines is the oil.

BVS management will not allow any derelict aircraft set on the ramp. they contact the owner of record and make arrangements to either care for the aircraft or remove it from the airport.

Except for 2 they have locked down for lack of back rent.

What's in the hangars? who knows, who cares, they are out of site, and out of mind.

Tom, Isn't one of these sitting around up there?

YO-3A%201.jpg

Tom, Isn't one of these sitting around up there?

YO-3A%201.jpg

it disappeared a few years ago, I have no idea what happened to it.

It belonged to the old man Stevers, when he died the kids sold all his stash of old round engine W 670 W680 and W690 parts and a barn full of aircraft rare parts.

That was a while back, the aircraft disappeared shortly after.

In the sixties, when i was just starting to fly, I remember an old guy that was unusually afraid of someone stealing his Mooney. I remember him going to excessive lengths to make his plane look derelict, so no one would want to steal it. Wish I had thought to take photos to show you all.

Setting over 20 years in this spot..

Attachments

• picnic 047.JPG
    picnic 047.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 210
Back