Ramp Checked

Lance F

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Lance F
I got ramp checked yesterday for the first time in my flying career. I find it most unbelievable that the FAA has the time and money for this time wasting foolishness but doesn't have enough money to keep control towers open. :mad2:

Sometimes things just don't make sense :).

What were you flying Lance? They seem to do the commercial folks more than us GA types, but do get to us sometimes. Anything unusual?

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
I'd like to see ramp checks AND control towers shut down. :yes:

I got ramp checked yesterday for the first time in my flying career. I find it most unbelievable that the FAA has the time and money for this time wasting foolishness but doesn't have enough money to keep control towers open. :mad2:

OMG!! The horror of it all! How dare they (FAA) do there jobs!!! (was it really that painful?)

BTW, ASI's don't run control towers, their job is to enforce compliance as well as safety.

OMG!! The horror of it all! How dare they (FAA) do there jobs!!! (was it really that painful?)

BTW, ASI's don't run control towers, their job is to enforce compliance as well as safety.

In 30 + years... I have yet get to be ramped. But I am ready with all my paperwork and can pass it with flying colors..:yes::yes:.

What I really look forward to is challanging the guys/gals on the ramp here as the airport requires all operators here the challange EVERYONE on the ramp.... My bet is the FAA won't have the proper credentials displayed on their person that will pass the SIDA /GA rules.... Time will tell...:yes:

I'm surprised that as much as the FAA has been bemoaning the 2% cut in spending that they have enough money to buy gas to get to the airport.

Unless he was doing something illegal, I don't see the point. And yes,it is a bit of a horror that law abiding citizens doing perfectly legal activities must get "checked" by the FAA for no good reason. The Nazis were just doing their jobs too. "Enforcing compliance" that sounds like a wonderful, rewarding position.

I've only been ramp checked 3 times, once when mapping, once doing instruction and once when Part 135 in a Lear. All were non-events. All were at small airports. Two of those times were in Nebraska.

Want to sit with me at ASE while:

1 Reviewing the tracker for destination
2. Watching the amount of time the fuel truck sits in front of the plane
3. Counting pax and baggage being loaded, and
4. Guessing how many planes are within weight and balance limits?

Is the honor system a better option?

I'd like to see ramp checks AND control towers shut down. :yes:

The only two people on the Lovington, NM airport when i was ramped were P. J. Boatright (nice guy, Lubbock FSDO) and me.

I've only been ramp checked 3 times, once when mapping, once doing instruction and once when Part 135 in a Lear. All were non-events. All were at small airports. Two of those times were in Nebraska.

Total sequestration cuts are 2% of the federal spending.

2%, or 8.2%.... Who gives a damn...... Most goverment depts are 50-70% overstaffed and bloated........

I am glad I am an old person... You young people are TOAST.:yes: :sad: :sad:

I was at KDPA, DuPage airport near Chicago. They have a FSDO on the field. It was a Pt 91 flight (inspector did not know that when he walked up) in a Hawker 800. The passengers were there but hadn't boarded. Our paperwork was all in order. It was a non event. But it wasted time we didn't have and (to me) shows the hypocrisy of how certain politicians are using the sequester.

I was at KDPA, DuPage airport near Chicago. They have a FSDO on the field. It was a Pt 91 flight (inspector did not know that when he walked up) in a Hawker 800. The passengers were there but hadn't boarded. Our paperwork was all in order. It was a non event. But it wasted time we didn't have and (to me) shows the hypocrisy of how certain politicians are using the sequester.
It seems ridiculous... given the money they squeeze out of all of us, the Feds should have the resources to do a quick search on the N-number before even approaching the aircraft. In a few minutes I could easily use my phone to see what you filed, what part it's operating under, if the airworthiness cert was current, etc, etc. :dunno: It's not rocket surgery.

I don't really have a beef with the idea of ramp checks, but there's no excuse to waste everybody's time when doing it.

Would another ramp check ever be conducted if "we don't have time for this" could be used as a valid way to avoid it?

It seems ridiculous... given the money they squeeze out of all of us, the Feds should have the resources to do a quick search on the N-number before even approaching the aircraft. In a few minutes I could easily use my phone to see what you filed, what part it's operating under, if the airworthiness cert was current, etc, etc. :dunno: It's not rocket surgery.

I don't really have a beef with the idea of ramp checks, but there's no excuse to waste everybody's time when doing it.

R&W said 90% of pilot enforcement comes from other pilots ratting what % of ramp checks produce enforcement actions?

2%, or 8.2%.... Who gives a damn...... Most goverment depts are 50-70% overstaffed and bloated........

So instead of operating at the 2013 level the FAA has to operate at the 2011 level - oh, the horror. I"m operating at the 2008 level.

You go back to your employee unions and ask them: You want jobs or salary levels - you decide. You tell me and we'll staff and pay accordingly.

Last edited:
So instead of operating at the 2013 level the FAA has to operate at the 2011 level - oh, the horror. I"m operating at the 2008 level.
They are going back to way before the 2008 level as far as ATC services are concerned.

Government just wants to assert it's power while it has you on the ground cause once the wheels come off the ground you've got something approaching true freedom for a little while.

I am glad I am an old person... You young people are TOAST.:yes: :sad: :sad:

Lol that's quiet the outlook Ben!! If the slice of bread is in the toaster for 25 seconds or 50 seconds which slice is actually going to get toasted first? Haha I suppose the level of heat in the toaster plays a vital role in determining that outcome.

Of course we have to define "toast" to see what we're actually talking about. But if your referring to economical or governmental status, you may be correct :)

Unless he was doing something illegal, I don't see the point.

The "point" is that it is a sampling to insure properly rated people are operating aircraft. No different than a police officer asking to see your license. And yes the FAA does find people operating without certificates on occasion, and just not the "oh gee I left my wallet at home" type of flying without certificates.

The FAA has that right to check your license anytime they desire through law, a law that has been in existence long before you ever got your license, and you agreed to that law when you were issued your certificate.

R&W said 90% of pilot enforcement comes from other pilots ratting what % of ramp checks produce enforcement actions?

Not sure what percent comes from a ramp check, but from my experience it's very low.

Personally I enjoyed doing ramp checks because it meant a day out of the office and I got to hang out at the airport, meet other pilots and see their airplanes. I kept my ramp checks very low key, a quick check of certificates and that was it.

Would be nice to read a thread on this site that did not include whining.

Personally I enjoyed doing ramp checks because it meant a day out of the office and I got to hang out at the airport, meet other pilots and see their airplanes. I kept my ramp checks very low key, a quick check of certificates and that was it.

I've been ramp checked several times. All of them were in connection with Part 135 flying in Alaska. I even gave a ride to a couple of Feds that were doing "route checks." No biggie on any of this.

I think sometimes I was sought out for the ramp checks, not to hassle me, but because I always had what was needed (no further paperwork) and I always joked around with the guy that was ramping me (almost always our POI). He got to know me pretty well after a while.

The so called "route checks" are part of the FAA's job, but I think the guys like to do them more for getting to go places rather than try to bust anyone.

The "point" is that it is a sampling to insure properly rated people are operating aircraft. No different than a police officer asking to see your license. And yes the FAA does find people operating without certificates on occasion, and just not the "oh gee I left my wallet at home" type of flying without certificates.

The FAA has that right to check your license anytime they desire through law, a law that has been in existence long before you ever got your license, and you agreed to that law when you were issued your certificate.

Still don't see the point, not a fan of road blocks either. And ramp checks are far from the most oppressive thing the FAA does. Like most things bureaucracies do, I don't see the point.

Not sure what percent comes from a ramp check, but from my experience it's very low.

Wasting people's time, forcing your way into their aircraft, accusing them of crimes and just generally ****ing people off. Sounds like an enjoyable job.

I got ramped as a student pilot... and THEN an FAA guy wanted to come along on the check ride too! Fortunately a Cessna 172 + 275# PIC + 170# DPE + 200# FAA guy = no-go.

But yeah, sometimes I think they just like me. :)

Back