RAM Tough Claw and X-Grip II PIREP

AcroGimp

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
AcroGimp
So on my recent flight to Vegas I started to find the heads-down nature of having my tablet on my kneeboard to be a challenge, in particular while receiving no less than 3 amended clearances on my way into Vegas. Mostly an issue because I have to flip the tablet out of the way to get to the scratchpad, or remember to use the built-in scratchpad function in Garmin Pilot

KHND-3_zpsa2270009.jpg

As a result, I decided to look into portable mount options since I rent and fly a variety of aircraft, and settled on the RAM Tough Claw and X-Grip II mount systems in combination.

20141126_120036_zpst03nzhzr.jpg

Today, I took some time to run out to one of the Skylanes to check fit and was very happy with what I found. Both portrait and landscape orientations are workable, and screen placement is such that with neutral controls the EFB stays far enough away to be easily focused on but easy to touch.

20141126_120050_zpsx0lsyqrj.jpg

In portrait, if you slide the tablet down in the mount, it keeps the top of the tablet from interfering with the HSI which is nice.

Portrait Layout
20141126_120411_zpsdcyohoro.jpg

Landscape works well also
20141126_120005_zpsjcnumeeh.jpg

Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0, and it fits nicely, the X-Grip II is a universal mount for smaller tablets.

'Gimp

Last edited:
Back