Rainbow

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

I was flying the other day and saw a rainbow.

Have any of you pilots seen a complete circle rainbow? Flown through one?

Isn't there a "special club" for pilots who have?

Terry
:yes:

Terry said:
Hi All:

Terry

I think the rainbow club is already taken though.......
EB
________
BOULEVARD S83

Last edited:
Terry said:
Hi All:

Terry
A full circle rainbow is called a halo. Your eye will always be exactly in the center of the halo. You'll never be able to fly through it...chasing rainbows. No club just good memories of witnessing spectacular things.

I think you can fly through it if you descend into the cloud deck which it is upon... or is that a glory?

Let'sgoflying! said:
I think you can fly through it if you descend into the cloud deck which it is upon... or is that a glory?
Correction, it is called a glory, not halo. If you were to decend as you say at some point before you flew through the deck the glory would disappear due to decreasing angle of diffraction. Too, because of lack of fixed perspective you would not know if you actually flew through the glory or perhaps not even know if you came close to it.

On my IR checkride I looked out my side and saw our glory. I mentioned to the DE I would make a left bank, top rudder to let her see. She said okay, but I don't think she was really prepared for the bank.:vomit:

Terry said:
Hi All:

Terry

Yes I have and Yes I have. It was during afternoon drive time. I was on the west side of a rainshower that was pretty much in the middle of the city. I needed to be on the east side of the city so I pointed the airplane east, right at the rainbow. As you fly towards the circle, it gets smaller. As you get to and through the rainshower, the rainbow just sort of shrinks into nothing.

It was very cool.

Let'sgoflying! said:
AHa you cheated, Im telling.
;)

thanks for the info on glories.
Not all my IR was under the hood. In actual in and out of layers.

But I made up for the 'cheating' on my multi add on. I had carefully placed no less than 3 (three) hoods in the plane. When it came time to do the inst portion of the flight I couldn't find even one. DE took the controls while I scoured the inside of a Seminole. Bad news,no luck. I tried to fashion a hood out of a sectional but it kept slipping down blocking all my vision. I pinked and landed. I found all 3 hoods nicely stacked on a table...right where I left them.

Yes, I have seen one. Flying back from Nantucket (ACK) to Nashua (ASH). Its neat because the airplane's shadow was right in the center of the rainbow on the clouds too.

Beautiful sight.

bubba said:
I think the rainbow club is already taken though.......
EB

Damn, where's that Coke speuwing out the nose emoticon? Management, can we get on that please?:D

Back