Raffles

jandersen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jason Andersen
Does anyone know of a central place to find about aircraft raffles??

I feel like I find out about things like this: http://wingsofhoperaffle.org/

Just way too randomly... And I might be missing out on some really great stuff...

Raffles are conducted under the rules of individual states. In Colorado, there are specific rules about what type of organizations, how long the organization has been in existence, and the purpose of the raffle.

Looking at the website, Rules #2 is important, #4 has a spelling mistake, #11 means if you don't want the airplane, WoH can do another raffle raising even more money. When you click on the logo or the link at the bottom, you go to wings-of-hope.org which talks entirely about non-US humanitarian aid. Yet the raffle is for US children - hm....

Now if you take the dashes out of the website, and look at wingsofhope.org, that's a completely different organization, one that is a cancer support mission, and definitely not involved with the raffle or sponsoring organization.

I just google "airplane raffle [year]" or "win me airplane [year]" to find the latest ones. No central source that I know of (besides Google).

I know something about Wings of Hope, the charity raffling Roy Clark's tri-pacer. It's a humanitarian charity, with no political or sectarian support. There are a number of copycat "Wings of Hope" in the U.S. and the correct website for this charity is www.wings-of-hope.org.

Based in Chesterfield, MO Wings of Hope is the largest charity in the midwest with over 500 active volunteers, including nurses and pilots. They have also been nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize.

Globally Wings of Hope has 150 bases which work to enable indigent populations to become self-sufficient. This takes the form of construction, education, farming education, health care and micro-loans. Think Peace Corps where the base directors have planes for logistical support but with no political or religious agenda. Typical base locations are in The Congo, Tanzania, Ecuador (Amazon), Belize...etc.

Here in the U.S. Wings of Hope is best known for its Medical Air Transport (MAT) program. For needy people with severe medical conditions (usually kids) Wings locates advanced treatment and flies those individuals in their own air ambulances to and from those facilities as often as necessary, all at no cost to the patients, taxpayers, insurance companies, nor any faction. This function is what the raffle is supporting.

Regarding Mr. Murphey's comments, Rule 2 simply says that if raffles are illegal in your home state they can't award you a prize, and it's our invidual responsibility to determine that legality. Regarding the spelling error in Rule 4 -- I guess not everyone is a good speller. The gist is what counts. Finally, regarding Rule 11, if the raffle's winner doesn't want to take possession of the prize, Wings of Hope isn't obliged to force it on him. Granted, it's unclear if a second name is drawn in such an instance, but I can't imagine anyone turning down an airplane, particularly since the winner is free to give the prize to someone else, like his child, relative, etc.

Regarding the raffle itself, it's a bargain package (plane, pilot course, headset) with odds of winning at a generous 2000:1, and with quantity ticket purchases at a reduced rate. .....the charity, the prize, and the cause all look good to me!

A couple of posts here are a bit incorrect regarding the Wings of Hope Roy Clark raffle.

Their web site clearly shows operations in the midwest and Alaska and they do extensive work with Amercian children.

Rule # 11 is required by many states and means there is no cash substitution for the prize. It's intent is to make sure the public knows they can't request cash instead. You either want the plane and the scholarhsip, or you don't.

Rule # 2 is required by all states as some locallities, even within states where Raffles are legal, they may be illegal in certain cities, etc.

Rule #4 has no spelling error that I can find - ?

So everyone knows, this charity has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize - which is the only major award on earth that you can't coerce someone to submit for you.

This Raffle is legit - and apparently, you can give the prize to anyone you wish so it'd be a great gift.

I remember when the Nobel Peace Prize was something one earned through sustained and meritorious service to mankind. Then it changed.

A couple of posts here are a bit incorrect regarding the Wings of Hope Roy Clark raffle.

Their web site clearly shows operations in the midwest and Alaska and they do extensive work with Amercian children.

Rule # 11 is required by many states and means there is no cash substitution for the prize. It's intent is to make sure the public knows they can't request cash instead. You either want the plane and the scholarhsip, or you don't.

Rule # 2 is required by all states as some locallities, even within states where Raffles are legal, they may be illegal in certain cities, etc.
Did I say otherwise? I was pointing out the exact same thing you did.
Rule #4 has no spelling error that I can find - ?
Every ticket will be issued with a discreet number

"discreet" means to be circumspect. "discrete" means singular, specific, unique, etc.
So everyone knows, this charity has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize - which is the only major award on earth that you can't coerce someone to submit for you.
Actually, it's not that difficult to submit a NPP nomination. Go look at the rules http://nobelprize.org/nomination/peace/nominators.html Ask your favorite history prof at a local university. Now, getting vetted by the committee is something else, but the initial nomination isn't rocket science.
This Raffle is legit - and apparently, you can give the prize to anyone you wish so it'd be a great gift.
I never said it wasn't legit. I was pointing out confusion in the website address. The raffle address is "wingsofhoperaffle" but if you take off "raffle" to find the sponsoring organization, the link takes you to a completely different organization.

Unfortunately there's more than one Wings of Hope in the U.S. The humanitarian charity conducting this raffle has the hyphenated web address, i.e., www.wings-of-hope.org. When you take out the hyphens you get a different organization.

I remember when the Nobel Peace Prize was something one earned through sustained and meritorious service to mankind. Then it changed.

When you look at recent winners of the prize that's a true statement. If you look thru Wings of Hope's website you'll get a much improved picture, i.e., one that actually fits the "sustained and meritorious service to mankind" criteria. Any suspicions I had are gone.....these folks do great work and I'm more than happy to throw my hat into this raffle.
Main website: www.wings-of-hope.org
and the raffle site: www.wingsofhoperaffle.org

Back