Radios with built-in ICS

Ed Haywood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Big Ed
Am having a Garmin GTR 225 installed in my '79 Decathlon. The radio has a built-in intercom. The aircraft also has an intercom, which I assume is factory original. The avionics shop asked me which I wanted to use, and I chose the radio intercom.

Anyone else have experience using radios with built in intercoms? How well do they work compared to separate intercoms?

Didn't occur to me to ask about the install cost. Should it be significantly different for one vs the other?

Really depends what other radios you have. In your case, it probably doesn't make much difference.

I pulled out a sigtronics intercom when I put in my 225. Less stuff is better, and the 225 works great. You can set the sidetone the way you like it, which is nice.

The panel-mounted SIgtronics is a really awful intercom (which I could never figure out because the SPO portable ones they make are really nice).

The recent Decathalons have pretty nice PSE intercoms from the factory, on the other hand.

I liked the intercom on my 225. My only gripe about integrated unicorns versus separate ones is if you need to make an adjustment it’s a few more button clicks versus having separate controls.

Well hopefully your unicorn won't need much adjusting then.

I installed a 255 in the T-6 last fall. Ditched the external intercom and didn't look back. Building an experimental plane now and will use a COM with built in intercom FOR SURE.

The panel-mounted SIgtronics is a really awful intercom (which I could never figure out because the SPO portable ones they make are really nice).

The recent Decathalons have pretty nice PSE intercoms from the factory, on the other hand.

I asked Sigtronics how to wire their panel mount intercom such that the other pilot (i.e. the instructor) could hear the first pilot's (i.e. the student's) radio transmission. They responded that such a function is not possible with their product :eek:

I asked Sigtronics how to wire their panel mount intercom such that the other pilot (i.e. the instructor) could hear the first pilot's (i.e. the student's) radio transmission. They responded that such a function is not possible with their product :eek:
Yep, and there are serious level issues that don't occur on the SPO. I've never understood why they are completely different designs (and at opposite ends of the spectrum). I've had the SPOs (I own two of them one 4 place, one 2 place) in all sorts of airplanes and even used them jacked into a scanner at few NASCAR races.

OK, sounds like I'm going the right way with the GTR 225 for IC. Thanks for the insight.

If you can get rid of a Sigtronics SP400, do so. I wouldn't trust the iCom A2xx "intercom mode". Nor, am I a big fan of the MGL V16's built in intercom (too complicated and VOX function is kinda funky). But, I haven't heard of any problems with the Garmin.

Back