Radio Trouble

Thanks for posting back with the resolution, Okie. It will help others down the road.
And will you be selling your audio panel on fleaBay as "slightly used" and under "buyer to determine airworthiness"? :D

Thanks for posting back with the resolution, Okie. It will help others down the road.
And will you be selling your audio panel on fleaBay as "slightly used" and under "buyer to determine airworthiness"? :D

Your welcome! I was hoping to be able to report that I found and fixed the problem, but alas, it was not to be. I may still call around and see if any avionics shop wants to take a look at it. If I can get it repaired, I may sell it. Heck, I may keep it as a backup unit. Don't know fo sho.

Wentworth wants it. Hahahaha.

Comm problems on big birds, other than LRU's (line replaceable units) often are associated with static, or the inability to shed it. Not sure if it's as much a problem on slower aircraft?

Comm problems on big birds, other than LRU's (line replaceable units) often are associated with static, or the inability to shed it. Not sure if it's as much a problem on slower aircraft?

Can be, usually in precip. Snow is particularly noisy when it's dry out. But most of the Comm problems I've seen on light aircraft and rentals was the audio panel/intercom.

Thanks guys. I did try a different headset, tried two different headsets in different jacks (pilot main, pilot aux, and copilot), messed with volume and squelch on both the radio and intercom, tried it on speaker, cycled all the switches, and basically fiddled with everything that will move on the radio, audio panel, intercom, and headsets.

I need to correct myself from the original post: The radio is Narco MK-12d. Narco CP-136 comm panel.
what intercom? Is it the one integral to the MK12-D? or a seperate unit? Also I suspect that there is more than one radio?
(Why have an AP for a single nav/com) I take it that com #2 is working just fine as far as audio goes? Could be as simple as a bad connection at the card edge connector.

what intercom? Is it the one integral to the MK12-D? or a seperate unit? Also I suspect that there is more than one radio?
(Why have an AP for a single nav/com) I take it that com #2 is working just fine as far as audio goes? Could be as simple as a bad connection at the card edge connector.

Intercom is PS Engineering PM1000ii. I have only one nav/comm. The only uses for the audio panel are marker beacons (which I don't use), and switching the speaker on and off. Eventually, I'd like to install a second comm radio. I inspected and cleaned the connections on the audio panel, to no avail. That still could be the problem, but I was unable to fix it. Anyway, I replaced the AP and it's all good. Thanks.

As an aside...

The nav side of my KX170B (MAC conversion) quit working a few weeks ago.

I pulled it out of the tray, shot the pins with contact cleaner. Repeatedly reinserted it...in/out/in/out/in/out/in.

It works fine now.

Sometimes things just need to be cleaned up.

Back