Radio Procedure Question

Who cares? Just key the mic and say "Any traffic in the area, please advise."

It was under 'G' -- for General William J. Fox Airfield.

OK, that's funny. Why not sort them by code, with cross-references by name and city?

Sorting by city also requires some editing. SFO is not in San Francisco. There aren't any airfields in San Francisco (not since Crissy Field closed in the 70s). Part of SFO is in Millbrae, and another part is in San Bruno.

Similarly, KDIA is not in Denver (though its predecessor Stapleton was). KDFW is neither in Dallas nor in Fort Worth. KORD is well outside of Chicago. KIAD is closer to Chantilly, VA than Washington, DC. Even Washington National (KDCA) is across the river in Crystal City, VA. And so on.

OK, that's funny. Why not sort them by code, with cross-references by name and city?

Sorting by city also requires some editing. SFO is not in San Francisco. There aren't any airfields in San Francisco (not since Crissy Field closed in the 70s). Part of SFO is in Millbrae, and another part is in San Bruno.

Similarly, KDIA is not in Denver (though its predecessor Stapleton was). KDFW is neither in Dallas nor in Fort Worth. KORD is well outside of Chicago. KIAD is closer to Chantilly, VA than Washington, DC. Even Washington National (KDCA) is across the river in Crystal City, VA. And so on.

Oh separating San Bruno and Millbrae from the City is like saying Long Beach isn't a part of LA.

A number of years ago they decided that Rockford, IL was actually part of Chicago and should be filed that way. That blew my mind when I was searching for the Jepp chart.

Oh separating San Bruno and Millbrae from the City is like saying Long Beach isn't a part of LA.

It isn't.

KLGB is filed under Long Beach. If you start talking about "greater LA," most of the airports in Southern California will qualify.

Similarly, KDIA is not in Denver (though its predecessor Stapleton was).

Actually it is.

The City and County of Denver annexed all that land in Adams County. They even have to have Denver cops, ambulances, and fire services out there. It's a completely separate group. Including their own dispatch, etc.

So it's truly "Denver" out there, halfway to Kansas.

It's relatively cushy duty, and you'll note a lot of the public safety folks out there are nearing retirement. The senior folks bid DIA to get out of the City and the insanity.

Another not-so-well-known outside of Denver fact:

Denver only hires people for these civil service jobs who live inside the City and County. (Unless this has changed while I wasn't looking.)

If you look carefully at a Metro area map, there are a couple of chunks of suburbia away from the main portion of the City that were annexed decades before DIA existed out near the Federal Penetentiary in Lakewood, CO. There are neighborhoods out there where every other house is owned by a Denver Policeman, Fireman, or EMT.

At least that's the way it was when I lived in Lakewood, many moons ago... and most job postings say "Must be a resident of the City and County or willing to relocate".

Never seen anyone try to take it to court as discriminatory that I recall. Mostly because besides the bennies, the City doesn't pay competitive wages compared to the surrounding suburban cities and counties. If you factor in the bennies, it's okay. Not great, but okay.

KDIA is not in Denver (though its predecessor Stapleton was). KDFW is neither in Dallas nor in Fort Worth. KORD is well outside of Chicago. KIAD is closer to Chantilly, VA than Washington, DC. Even Washington National (KDCA) is across the river in Crystal City, VA. And so on.
"Columbia Gorge Regional/The Dalles Municipal Airport" (KDLS) is, as the name suggests, owned by the City of The Dalles, Oregon.

But it's not in The Dalles.

It's not even in Oregon.

It's across the Columbia River, in the State of Washington.

KDLS is in the approach plates and A/FD under "Oregon", but the A/FD has a note that the airport is physically located in the State of Washington.

The presence of a municipal airport in a foreign state makes for interesting political and tax relationships, as well.

The worst example I have encountered in 13 years is KLNA. This is West Palm Beach/Palm Beach County Park on the charts, approach plates, and A/FD. Yet everyone down there calls it "Lantana". When ATC was telling me "Lantana" was ten miles, twelve o'clock, I had no idea what they were talking about.

I do wish there were some standardization in the nomenclature.

Wells

Back