Radio active boy scout passed away...

Acrodustertoo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Buford T. Justice
One of my all time favorite stories, David Hahn who was known as the "radioactive boy scout" has sadly passed away.
Here is a couple links to make your day that much better.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/11/this-fall-the-radioactive-boy-scout-died-at-age-39/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

David Charles Hahn (October 30, 1976 – September 27, 2016), also called the "Radioactive Boy Scout" or the "Nuclear Boy Scout", was an American who attempted to build a homemade breeder reactor in 1994, at age 17. A scout in the Boy Scouts of America, Hahn conducted his experiments in secret in a backyard shed at his mother's house in Commerce Township, Michigan. While his reactor never reached critical mass, Hahn attracted the attention of local police when he was stopped on another matter and they found material in his vehicle that troubled them and he warned that it was radioactive. His mother's property was cleaned up by the Environmental Protection Agency ten months later as a Superfund cleanup site. Hahn attained Eagle Scout rank shortly after his lab was dismantled.[2]

While the incident was not widely publicized initially, it became better known following a 1998 Harper's article by journalist Ken Silverstein. Hahn was also the subject of Silverstein's 2004 book, The Radioactive Boy Scout.[2]

M4yb1.jpg

Did he die from something caused by the exposure to radioactive material?

The articles say the cause of death is "under investigation" last I checked. But given his rather cavalier handling of things like Americium (from smoke detectors) and radium. It's a possibility.

The articles say the cause of death is "under investigation" last I checked. But given his rather cavalier handling of things like Americium (from smoke detectors) and radium. It's a possibility.

I also read somewhere that he was also somewhat suicidal.

I had a friend in high school who had a copy of the anarchist's cookbook and had made and set off some nitroglycerin. He invited me over one day saying he was mixing up another batch and it would be really cool. Even at 15 years old, I knew that wasn't a good idea and politely declined. He accidentally blew up his shed that afternoon, his parents somehow managed to keep it out of the news.

See, I told my parents all my fires, explosions, mantraps, taking everything apart, hotwiring cars, etc etc etc at 12 was nuttin'.

I'm actually currently reading "The boy who played with fusion" by Tom Clynes. It's about a kid who at 14 became the youngest in history to successfully build a FUSION reactor! Pretty interesting IMO.

Last edited:
I gotta make sure my cub scouts don't see this thread and start getting ideas...

I'm actually currently "The boy who played with fusion" by Tom Clynes. It's about a kid who at 14 became the youngest in history to successfully build a FUSION reactor! Pretty interesting IMO.

You ARE? Oh, maybe mean you 'are reading'. :D

Yea man, I'm a book, got a problem? Haha! Whoops.

Back