Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Two paved runways and several approaches, including an ILS: Free
Really friendly people who staff the place 24/7: Free
Nice new Honda Odyssey courtesy van: Free
Landing, handling, and parking: Free
Avoiding the $46 charge for awful service at $ignature MKE: Priceless! :D :yes:

Yes, despite MKE being the most convenient field in the Milwaukee area for most of my missions there, I have absolutely had it with $ignature and I refuse to go back there. I called the other day to get an update on their fees: $25 "handling" fee unless you tank up on their $5.05/gal 100LL, and $21 parking fee if you'll be there for more than TWO HOURS. And in return for all the money you spend there, nobody will pay attention to you until they want to collect their money. Once a line guy finally made it to me after I already was parked and had the plane tied down - Other times, no line service whatsoever. Desk staff is also usually quite scarce until you need to be let back onto the ramp and they demand payment first.

Okay, so this wasn't supposed to be a rant about $ignature MKE. This is really about RAC. It's a privately owned airport, backed by S.C. Johnson Wax (makers of such things as Ziploc, Off mosquito repellent, and many other big-name brands). Two nice large runways, approaches to suit pretty much anyone (NDB, VOR, whiz-wheel RNAV, GPS, ILS), and a pretty decent terminal, if maybe just a tad small. Very friendly folks and usually some excellent hangar talk, nice new courtesy vans, open 24/7.

If you're in the mood for a $100 burger, Infusino's restaurant (Italian) is right around the corner on the south side of the field and will gladly put you overgross for a very reasonable price.

Other tips for avoiding $ignature MKE: If RAC isn't particularly convenient to the location you're visiting, try UES (west side or downtown) or MWC (North or Northwest). UES has a brand spankin' new terminal with a nice mini-museum and an ILS to a 6000 foot runway (there's also a second, shorter runway). MWC doesn't have the flashy new terminal, but is still an OK place and is more convenient for both $100 burgers (El Greco right next door) and business if you're dealing with companies like Harley-Davidson, Strong Funds, AOSmith, and numerous others up the US 41 corridor. Both charge only a $5 ramp fee for singles, waived with purchase of course.

OK, I feel a lot better now. :yes:

Yep was just there last week and I agree with everything you have said Kent

We stopped in for a lunch break. Did not get the nice van though, it had been signed out. They did give us a two seat older Jeep pickup for the three if us. It was a fun ride in the back to Infusios. I had the fish fry and it was filling and cheap. The airport itself is as you describe, I was perplexed when I saw the NASA C-130 psarked on the ramp. I was trying to figure out what a NASA plane was doing there, then I saw it had museum markings on it.

What is the deal with MKE??

I landed at Pensacola Regional - also a class C and figured and having to spend $50-$60 for two nights parking just because it's Florida and a C field. And with fuel at $5.21 or whatever it was, I was expecting to get hammered since I wasn't fueling up.

I landed, tied myself down, walked in, got a ride over to the terminal to get my rental car, and reversed the process on my departure. Handed em the credit card, and my total was $15 for two nights, and I bought nothing from them at all. And I got the same/better service you get at $ignature in MKE. I will never go there based on your PIREPS. Not that I would ever want to go to Wisconsin anyway. lol

N2212R said:

I landed at Pensacola Regional - also a class C and figured and having to spend $50-$60 for two nights parking just because it's Florida and a C field. And with fuel at $5.21 or whatever it was, I was expecting to get hammered since I wasn't fueling up.

I landed, tied myself down, walked in, got a ride over to the terminal to get my rental car, and reversed the process on my departure. Handed em the credit card, and my total was $15 for two nights, and I bought nothing from them at all. And I got the same/better service you get at $ignature in MKE. I will never go there based on your PIREPS. Not that I would ever want to go to Wisconsin anyway. lol

When Signature ran Meigs I stopped in for 3 hours and it cost me almost $40

Million-Air at Richmond I diverted to last month, bought $10gal of gas, used their Internet and watched TV, charged me just fo rhte gas. But if I had not bought gas they were not going to charge me at all.

N2212R said:

Too close to Chicago, gives them an inferiority complex. $ignature charges Meigs-type fees but doesn't realize that they aren't nearly as cool as Meigs.

Approach has it too... They tell you to "remain clear of class Charlie" any time you call unless you're actually landing at MKE.

Q. What's the difference between Milwaukee and Chicago?
A. At least Chicago has a lakeshore route! :rofl:

I landed at Pensacola Regional - also a class C and figured and having to spend $50-$60 for two nights parking just because it's Florida and a C field.

$ignature, or a different FBO?

flyingcheesehead said:
Approach has it too... They tell you to "remain clear of class Charlie" any time you call unless you're actually landing at MKE.

But they do get over it unlike C90. I have asked and been allowed to over fly the city several times. Coming south on the Lake front they will sometimes ask you to align with one of the runways and fly over at that altitude to avoide landing traffic. In other words they will work with GA.

flyingcheesehead said:
Too close to Chicago, gives them an inferiority complex. $ignature charges Meigs-type fees but doesn't realize that they aren't nearly as cool as Meigs.

Q. What's the difference between Milwaukee and Chicago?
A. At least Chicago has a lakeshore route! :rofl:

$ignature, or a different FBO?
I flew down the lake around Milwaukee when I evacuated after 9/11 to Kenosha. What makes it a route?

I have to remeber to avoid $ignature at all costs even though they were OK to me at IND. They were also very nice and cooperative when we flew Young Eagles from Meigs. We never paid a fee. I have a perfect record there even though I landed dozens of times.

Kent,

You would think that they would do better with a Learjet 45 taking on around 600 gallons of Jet-A but they suck too. (KMKE)

Was at BOS two weeks ago and topped off to come home at Sigunature. Paid $6.38 a gallon. Their suttle vans (plural) were parked running with staff inside, yet I still had to walk eight plane rows to get to the trailer house they use for an FBO. The fuel price didnt account for the handling fee, ramp fee, and landing fee either. However, their vans did move when a Global express taxied in with crew only on it.

Sig's just suck. I think they are trying to become their own new mofia.

I went to St. Petersburg (KPIE) and parked at $ignature. $25 to land the plane plus $20/day to park. The landing fee is waived if you pay $5.20/gal for fuel. I came back in 3 days and found my plane UNTIED (I told them I would be back in 4 days)

mikea said:
I flew down the lake around Milwaukee when I evacuated after 9/11 to Kenosha. What makes it a route?

The fact that ORD is far enough inland that I can fly down the lakeshore at Chicago without squawking and talking while I flip 'em off.

MKE is very close to the lake and their surface class C extends out over the water, so you can't fly down the lakeshore without their blessing. They're certainly not as mean as ORD, but they are the least friendly class C I've ever encountered. They really do seem to wish they were a B.

while you are out flying around on any Friday, flipping the bird at ORD or whatever else tickles your fancy, or if you are on the way to MECCA, a/k/a OSHKOSh on friday, drop into Goshen Indiana for a free burger or whatever else they have that day, because every Friday cept at Thanksgiving and Xmas is "Free Lunch Friday.

we have been known to have Ribs, Lobster, pork chops, Spaghetti, Fish Chicken, Pizza, and just about anything else. But it is all free.

At this time, besure to check the runway notams, make sure we are using the runway and not the taxiway for landings and takeoffs.

When I read of these prices and extra fees it sure makes me glad that I fly out west were I don't find these high prices. Unless you fly into Boise, Id or the big airports around Portland, Or.the prices are reasonable. I had some fuel delivered to my tank for $3.34 a gal. which isn't good but it isn't $5.oo plus either. Bob

Back