Race car between cyclecart and formula vee?

F600 gives you the option of a motorcycle engine with the bike's sequential gearbox, or a snowmobile engine with the CVT. Pick your poison.

Those cars are FAST for the money, all based on being extremely small and lightweight. If you're good at aero work, you can help them generate enough downforce to handle well above any street car's capabilities.

Open-wheel cars are where the handling is. If you want to experience a REAL race car, rent a FE (Formula E) for a weekend. They are provided through the SCCA CSRs, just like Spec Racer Ford, but they are a full-on winged formula car that pulls well over 2 gs in the corners. Not for the faint of heart......nor the light of wallet......

I'd be hesitant to jump into a Formula Enterprises car if I didn't have some experience on something purpose built that ran a racing tire. I had been driving an Improved Touring Scirocco, and wanted something faster. I was thinking of a Formula Continental/2000 which added wings to the equation, and my father suggested I start with a Formula Ford. I took his advice and stayed in that until I hung up my Nomex. Unfortunately, he passed away before I made the jump to FF.

The class is now Formula F and uses either the old Kent Ford engine or a modern Honda unit.

I'd be hesitant to jump into a Formula Enterprises car if I didn't have some experience on something purpose built that ran a racing tire. I had been driving an Improved Touring Scirocco, and wanted something faster. I was thinking of a Formula Continental/2000 which added wings to the equation, and my father suggested I start with a Formula Ford. I took his advice and stayed in that until I hung up my Nomex. Unfortunately, he passed away before I made the jump to FF.

The class is now Formula F and uses either the old Kent Ford engine or a modern Honda unit.
Not a bad choice. My first slick-tire car was an old Crossle 32 FF.

Formula Enterprise has the same advantage that SRF has. A true Spec class.

The downside is, if you are not at the front of the pack, you can only blame yourself. :)

OTOH, you’ll find the smallest details of car prep and setup matter in creating a slight advantage.

OTOH, you’ll find the smallest details of car prep and setup matter in creating a slight advantage.
Indeed. One year at the Runoffs we were handed a choice of two spec fuels. As it turned out, one of them gave a small but consistent power advantage, but you had to either know this ahead of time or get samples during the pre-event test days and pull a dyno run. Choose wisely......

Indeed. One year at the Runoffs we were handed a choice of two spec fuels. As it turned out, one of them gave a small but consistent power advantage, but you had to either know this ahead of time or get samples during the pre-event test days and pull a dyno run. Choose wisely......

With the SRF, we were down to things like sanding a rounded taper into the leading edge of the brake pads to minimize brake drag, or running a loose alternator belt so it would slip under heavy load and prevent the alternator from robbing 1/2hp.

That is where a good CSR hired to support the car (or arrive and drive their car) really shines. They provide the engineering and mechanics to get the car set up the way they know, from experience, it needs to be set up for any given track. It cost more but we were more likely to be running near the front of the grid. On a spec car the little tricks are all well known by a CSR and you won't be leaving anything on the table when the green waves.

Back