RA454 Rugged Air Headset issue

markstanco

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
I have this headset as a backup / passenger headset. It had good reviews and was $150 so I bought it.

The problem is that the VOX keys up the mic above 4200 RPMs (midrange in a Rotax).

It has the windscreen on it, but I was wondering if this is a common problem and if I should look in to getting another thicker windscreen?

Or am I looking in the wrong direction completely?

If the VOX is keying the intercom, usually the adjustment for squelch is on the intercom itself. If it's one with automatic squelch, some have an option where you can "reset" it to a higher ambient noise level so exactly this doesn't happen.

What kind of intercom do you have?

You are looking in the right direction. If it's not the intercom squelch, which is a possibility, it's the horrid mic pickup they use in those. $100 headsets make me want to chew nails.

You can try a thicker US made windscreen; we carry them, or replace the microphone with a real one; we carry those too. Just know that the windscreen blocks out high pressure waves, not resonance. Since it's a high RPM trigger, I doubt a windscreen will resolve it.

Last edited:
If the VOX is keying the intercom, usually the adjustment for squelch is on the intercom itself. If it's one with automatic squelch, some have an option where you can "reset" it to a higher ambient noise level so exactly this doesn't happen.

What kind of intercom do you have?
Is a Garmin 340. I did play with the squelch.

I called them today. They are sending me some new screens to play with. If that doesn't work I am going to send them in.

My lightspeed headset is fine, as are RCs.

We will see if this fixes it.

You are looking in the right direction. If it's not the intercom squelch, which is a possibility, it's the horrid mic pickup they use in those. $100 headsets make me want to chew nails.

You can try a thicker US made windscreen; we carry them, or replace the microphone with a real one; we carry those too. Just know that the windscreen blocks out high pressure waves, not resonance. Since it's a high RPM trigger, I doubt a windscreen will resolve it.
They are sending 2 new ones to see if that fixes it. I hope so!

Back