R.C. Allen vs SigmaTek

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Looks like the primary AI will die pretty soon. It's got less than 500 hours on it. An R.C. Allen vacuum unit.

The right-side AI still seems to be fine. It's been in the plane since before I bought the plane, so it's got at least 900 hours. Right side is a SigmaTek.

What's the current preference for gyros? I'm not real pleased with the short life of the Allen, but I don't know how Sigma's current production seems to be.

Any advice?

wsuffa said:
Looks like the primary AI will die pretty soon. It's got less than 500 hours on it. An R.C. Allen vacuum unit.

The right-side AI still seems to be fine. It's been in the plane since before I bought the plane, so it's got at least 900 hours. Right side is a SigmaTek.

What's the current preference for gyros? I'm not real pleased with the short life of the Allen, but I don't know how Sigma's current production seems to be.

Any advice?

I've never had an RC Allen gyro, but I have heard anecdotal evidence that their QC is weak. Sigma Tek OTOH seems to have a sterling rep. and that jibes with my experience.

I have an electric RC Allen as a standby AI, and I am on my third unit in 2 years. And it just started rolling over when caging, so it is gonna have to go back. A buddy of mine has the same model RC Allen AI as a backup in his plane, and he is on the 4th one in 3 years.

For what it is worth.
:-/

For backup I am using PCEFIS on a Palm PC. The electronic gyros go on the floor, velcroed to the side of the center console. Of course, I have two vacuum pumps...

bbchien said:
For backup I am using PCEFIS on a Palm PC. The electronic gyros go on the floor, velcroed to the side of the center console. Of course, I have two vacuum pumps...
And for my VFR-only primary AI I use a model with similar electronics but with its own display. Available from www.pcflightsystems.com. I have the e-Gyro3.

I've thought about the solid-state units.

I suppose one option is to move the second vacuum horizon gyro over to the pilot side and put a solid-state gyro backup in. Then there is the issue of the 337 paperwork. I'm not up for a $2500+ battle with the FAA right now.

wsuffa said:
I've thought about the solid-state units.

I suppose one option is to move the second vacuum horizon gyro over to the pilot side and put a solid-state gyro backup in. Then there is the issue of the 337 paperwork. I'm not up for a $2500+ battle with the FAA right now.
I keep the eGyro affixed to the panel of my Citabria with Dual Lock (sort of like velcro only stronger). When I rent a traveling airplane, I carry extra Dual Lock. In the event of a failure, I'll stick that sucker right on top of the failed attitude indicator. I have extra portable power plugs wired in my airplane, so no problem there. The newer models can run off of batteries, too, but mine can't.

I have tested starting it in the air and it "erects" quickly and accurately. I have tried to fool it with prolonged constant-rate turns and aerobatics. I have also flown pseudo-localizer approaches under a hood using nothing but the eGyro and an old handheld Precedus GPS showing the extended runway centerline. It works.

Ken Ibold said:
It works.

Not that I disagree with you at all, Ken, but I still have to have the primary AI working again.

It did the big "spin like a top" thing this morning, followed by loud grinding and clicking upon shutdown. The keys and logbooks are already at the shop.

They want to "investigate" before replacing - I'm ready for them to go ahead & replace with no delay. Translation: I'll get charged for an hour of "troubleshooting", even though it's intuitively obvious that it's a dead gyro (the #2 gyro works fine, plenty of vacuum, filter clean, all hoses connected well, vacuum pump has about 100 hours on it).

Wanna bet the plane is not fixed by Thursday AM when I told them I want it back????

Sigh.

wsuffa said:
Not that I disagree with you at all, Ken, but I still have to have the primary AI working again.

It did the big "spin like a top" thing this morning, followed by loud grinding and clicking upon shutdown. The keys and logbooks are already at the shop.
-snip-
Wanna bet the plane is not fixed by Thursday AM when I told them I want it back????
Yeah, somehow we got sidetracked onto backups.

Anyway, to answer your original question, my money would be on the Sigma-Tek. My local shop won't install RC Allens without the owner signing a waiver saying they won't insist another be installed free in a few months when this one craps out.

I feel your pain. I was taxiing out for what would have been a 4 hour flight in solid IMC when there occurred a sound my wife described as "a piece of paper being sucked through a fan." AI wobbled, DG was fine. Fortunately, the shop in Destin had a loaner they put in to get me home, and then my overhauled unit was sent to my base and the loaner returned. Although in retrospect I should have stayed in Destin for a few days until the thing was fixed. :)

Back