Quiet Technologies Halo - AUX input and opinions?

Bonchie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Bonchie
I've seen a few posts from late last year saying they do now have an AUX input for music on the box but there's nothing mentioned about it on there website.

Was this just a one off for a few months of production or do they all come with it now?

I just bought a pair of Flightcom Denali D90 ANRs, but they aren't much quieter then a passive set (if at all) and despite being the lightest ANR out there, along with touting minimal clamping, they give me a headache after more then an hour just like all the different sets I borrowed training.

So they are going back for a refund.

I'd assume the Halo style headsets are the only real solution for someone who gets headaches from clamping?

There was a discussion about this on another forum, and this was posted by Quiet Technologies on that forum:

Thanks for all the comments on the Halo, but I do need to correct some misinformation...

1) The Halo now has direct music input jack!
2) The Halo now has super soft foam eartips available for those who don't like the originals
3) The Halo now has full independent R/L volume controls for those with asymmetric hearing losses

The comparisons are now over.
And a followup post about the music jack:

It is a passive input, requiring no amplification or batteries. Having said that, the 3.5mm jack output is attenuated (reduced in volume) because it must not compete electrically with the audio panel of the aircraft. This will lower the sensitivity of your audio device somewhat so you will need a pretty powerful music player to get to high volumes. There is no muting of the music when ATC comes a callin' either. This is identical to the competitor's unit.

This plug is NOT a cell phone input and will not work with phones or microphones...only music or audio inputs from aux devices.. Again, identical to the setup of the competitors' unit.
My 3-year-old Halos do not have either the music input or separate volume controls for each ear, but I have music input in my audio panel.

Try the Halos, you will like them. They had a 30-day money back guarantee when I bought mine, but all it took was one flight . . . they ain't gettin 'em back!!

My wife and I both use the QT Halo headsets and love them. I decided to use the Pilot BluLink with bluetooth link to the headset. This way, I can use my phone for clearance delivery and still have music which auto mutes when the radio traffic comes up. Works for me and is portable.

My wife and I both use the QT Halo headsets and love them. I decided to use the Pilot BluLink with bluetooth link to the headset. This way, I can use my phone for clearance delivery and still have music which auto mutes when the radio traffic comes up. Works for me and is portable.

Could you give me a few more details about this setup?

There was a discussion about this on another forum, and this was posted by Quiet Technologies on that forum:

Thanks for all the comments on the Halo, but I do need to correct some misinformation...

1) The Halo now has direct music input jack!
2) The Halo now has super soft foam eartips available for those who don't like the originals
3) The Halo now has full independent R/L volume controls for those with asymmetric hearing losses

The comparisons are now over.
And a followup post about the music jack:

It is a passive input, requiring no amplification or batteries. Having said that, the 3.5mm jack output is attenuated (reduced in volume) because it must not compete electrically with the audio panel of the aircraft. This will lower the sensitivity of your audio device somewhat so you will need a pretty powerful music player to get to high volumes. There is no muting of the music when ATC comes a callin' either. This is identical to the competitor's unit.

This plug is NOT a cell phone input and will not work with phones or microphones...only music or audio inputs from aux devices.. Again, identical to the setup of the competitors' unit.
My 3-year-old Halos do not have either the music input or separate volume controls for each ear, but I have music input in my audio panel.

Try the Halos, you will like them. They had a 30-day money back guarantee when I bought mine, but all it took was one flight . . . they ain't gettin 'em back!!

Thanks. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Nothing to lose really as they have a 45 day money back guarantee right now.

I think this will be the way to go for me. I'm a musician as well so I'm used to inner ears from years of wearing them on stage.

That's not the only solution for someone getting headaches from a headset. In fact, the inner-aural pieces are quite painful for some people in a very short period of time (self included), there is no ANR or electronic hearing protection from lower frequency, and aviation headset hardware is different from audiophile hardware.

It takes very specific engineering to get that arc right, and even then, most never put the time into it, or it just doesn't work on some people's heads.

Just keep trying different sets until you find one's that are high quality, and that feel nice on your head or in your ears. Most headset makers will have a trial period. Hell even some of the importers are trying to pretend now.

Also, remember that there is a big difference between an "aux" jack in headsets.
Most offer ONLY music input, no phone/tablet integration or mic out options. Read the fine print on any headset. Look for things like ours, that say TRRS or fully integrated auxiliary.

Last edited:
Got the Halos in the mail last week and used them on Saturday.

I'm not sure what ANRs people say are better then these things, but they are noticeably quieter then any ANR set I've tried (Flightcom and David Clark) and much better then passive sets. The comfort was off the charts. After 5 minutes, I could not feel them in my ears and of course no clamping. It's the first time in a while I've made a long flight and not had a small headache on arrival from a clamping headset. The clarity is as good as any set I've ever used as well.

Another thing I loved was that things were consistent. In regular headsets, turning my head, especially to look out the back/side windows, would result in different frequencies getting louder or the seal would slightly break letting noise in. With the Halos, everything remains at the same high attenuation level no matter what I do.

The aux audio jack also works well and I like that it doesn't cut out with transmissions. In the DC SFRA where I fly in and out of, the radio is always going so being able to keep the music on low in the background is actually a plus to me.

If clamping is a problem for you, you'd be crazy not to try these things.

Last edited:
Welcome to the awesomeness. You'd have to pry my Halos out of my cold, dead hands...with a jackhammer. :D

Got the Halos in the mail last week and used them on Saturday.

I'm not sure what ANRs people say are better then these things, but they are noticeably quieter then any ANR set I've tried (Flightcom and David Clark) and much better then passive sets. The comfort was off the charts. After 5 minutes, I could not feel them in my ears and of course no clamping. It's the first time in a while I've made a long flight and not had a small headache on arrival from a clamping headset. The clarity is as good as any set I've ever used as well.

Another thing I loved was that things were consistent. In regular headsets, turning my head, especially to look out the back/side windows, would result in different frequencies getting louder or the seal would slightly break letting noise in. With the Halos, everything remains at the same high attenuation level no matter what I do.

The aux audio jack also works well and I like that it doesn't cut out with transmissions. In the DC SFRA where I fly in and out of, the radio is always going so being able to keep the music on low in the background is actually a plus to me.

If clamping is a problem for you, you'd be crazy not to try these things.

When was the music input added to these? Got mine a couple months ago and it has no music input. Not a huge deal, just curious.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

When was the music input added to these? Got mine a couple months ago and it has no music input. Not a huge deal, just curious.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

That's odd. There were people reporting they had the aux input late last year on this forum. There's where I heard about it while searching for Halo reviews.

The aux input on mine is on the volume box that splits the cable to mic/input.

That's odd. There were people reporting they had the aux input late last year on this forum. There's where I heard about it while searching for Halo reviews.

The aux input on mine is on the volume box that splits the cable to mic/input.

When I read this thread I pulled mine out because I didn't remember seeing an aux jack. Sure enough, I have the two volume controls and a stereo/mono switch on my control box, that's it.

I stared at it for a couple minutes hoping I wasn't blind or a complete idiot, but my significant other didn't see it either.

No aux on mine either. I think it is a new addition

Hey if you guys need that aux connection and you don't get a good solution from the maker. I'm happy to add it for you. I have all the parts and installation pieces for those. I have no idea what I'll charge, but it won't be much. The parts are a few bucks, and then it's just my time.

You can always just purchase the BluLink and forgo the cable connection, but that's up to you, and your wallet.

I can fix you up either way, just let me know.

Just got two today pirep later this week. Wife wanted one they gave me a deal for two. Using BoseX as a comparison...

Back