Quickbooks issue

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Hey guys! Having a problem opening Quick Books from my computer on a network. I'm getting the following message. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Print screen file is attached.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

• Qbooks.doc
    67.5 KB · Views: 30
It sounds like your shared directory is marked as read only.

On the computer which owns the directory which is being shared:
- Open Windows Explorer - START -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer
(This is NOT Internet Explorer)
- Find the folder that is being shared
- Right click the folder and click "Sharing and Security"
- If using XP Home: Click the checkbox to allow others to modify your files
- IF other, click permissions, and give "Everyone" write access (select everyone and check the "write" box for them)

I assume the network is up and working for other functions Dave?
Can you access the file properly from the computer on which it is resident?

I have to put in a little 'grr, quickbooks' while I am here!

Let'sgoflying! said:
I assume the network is up and working for other functions Dave?
Can you access the file properly from the computer on which it is resident?

I have to put in a little 'grr, quickbooks' while I am here!

It's a dedicated server; I can access all other files, just not Quick Books files through the Quick Books folder. We have a bank error and can't access the files while our accountant is gone. He can access it through his lap top when he is here, but I can't from my computer. (We've been trying to get this fixed, but have been reacting to some other priorities--now we don't have support on QB 2005.

Could we need a network copy?

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
It's a dedicated server; I can access all other files, just not Quick Books files through the Quick Books folder. We have a bank error and can't access the files while our accountant is gone. He can access it through his lap top when he is here, but I can't from my computer. (We've been trying to get this fixed, but have been reacting to some other priorities--now we don't have support on QB 2005.

Could we need a network copy?

Dave

Dave,

There are a bunch of issues here. First off, does your version of QuickBooks have a multi-user license? Intiuit makes you pay for running multiple versions.

If you have the multi user license, then this problem is easy to fix. Find who has the application open (I imagine someone has it open right now?), and from the File Menu, select "Multi-User Mode".

If it isn't open anywhere, then the machine the file sits on may need a reboot. Also, if you are using two different versions of QB, this error can come up.

I have a local company that I help out occasionally that runs into these problems all the time, and while QB is powerful, Intuit sure holds you by the stones on the multi-user stuff.

Cheers,

-Andrew

astanley said:
Dave,

There are a bunch of issues here. First off, does your version of QuickBooks have a multi-user license? Intiuit makes you pay for running multiple versions.

I'll try to find out Andrew. I was just trying to use it and assumed (where have you heard that) that my accountant put the correct multi user software on the computer.

astanley said:
If you have the multi user license, then this problem is easy to fix. Find who has the application open (I imagine someone has it open right now?), and from the File Menu, select "Multi-User Mode".

If it isn't open anywhere, then the machine the file sits on may need a reboot. Also, if you are using two different versions of QB, this error can come up.

I have a local company that I help out occasionally that runs into these problems all the time, and while QB is powerful, Intuit sure holds you by the stones on the multi-user stuff.

Cheers,

-Andrew

No one has it open right now, so I can't go to the machine it's open on. We can try the reboot.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Back