Quick IPOD tutorial

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
OK, I have an old junky Archos 20Gb MP-3 player that is on its last legs, literally falling apart.

My boss told me today that I must be in Munich a week and a half from now, so I will be trapped in a large metal tube 8-10hrs each way. Yuk.

I want tunes, so now is the time to buy a new Ipod, but I know next to nothing about them except I want the 80Gb version. I will listen to them thru my Etymotic ER-6 ear speakerphones, so that should sound great and block a good deal of noise.

Questions:
  1. I think my home computer has an older USB port on it, not the 2.0 port, will this work to transfer songs?
  2. I already have 5000 songs on the computer in MP-3 format, can I quickly dump them to the Ipod?
  3. Do I need i-tunes installed on my computer to dump them?
Basically, I want to quickly put tunes on the Ipod, and deal with learing i-tunes and all the other stuff later after the trip.

Comments?

Ken S, I know you're an Ipod god, what say ye?

Bill Jennings said:
OK, I have an old junky Archos 20Gb MP-3 player that is on its last legs, literally falling apart.

My boss told me today that I must be in Munich a week and a half from now, so I will be trapped in a large metal tube 8-10hrs each way. Yuk.

I want tunes, so now is the time to buy a new Ipod, but I know next to nothing about them except I want the 80Gb version. I will listen to them thru my Etymotic ER-6 ear speakerphones, so that should sound great and block a good deal of noise.

Questions:
1. I think my home computer has an older USB port on it, not the 2.0 port, will this work to transfer songs?
Yes.

2. I already have 5000 songs on the computer in MP-3 format, can I quickly dump them to the Ipod?
Yes. It would be quicker if you had a USB 2.0 port. How about adding a USB card later?

3. Do I need i-tunes installed on my computer to dump them?
No. But it's a lot easier.

You can make the iPod look like a USB disk drive and copy the songs. Then you might not have the genere's, artists, and playlists.

Just drag the songs into iTunes.

Basically, I want to quickly put tunes on the Ipod, and deal with learing i-tunes and all the other stuff later after the trip.

Comments?

Ken S, I know you're an Ipod god, what say ye?

If you want something fast, use iTunes.

Just drag your songs in the library and sync the iPod.

Last edited:
Bill Jennings said:
I think my home computer has an older USB port on it, not the 2.0 port, will this work to transfer songs?
It will work. But you really should get a USB 2.0 PCI card. Otherwise it will be dirt slow. Something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815104306

I already have 5000 songs on the computer in MP-3 format, can I quickly dump them to the Ipod?
Yes. But not so quickly if you don't get that card.

Do I need i-tunes installed on my computer to dump them?
You could probably do that. But Itunes is very easy and makes it very easy for you. You might as well just use it.

jangell said:
It will work. But you really should get a USB 2.0 PCI card. Otherwise it will be dirt slow. Something like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815104306
I don't have a USB 2.0 card and I can attest that transfers from iTunes to the iPod is, as Jesse says, dirt slow.

I have purchased a total of four iPods - one for each of my two kids and two for me (the first one locked up one day and never recovered). My current iPod will lock up for no reason and all I can do is let the battery drain so it shuts itself off. Then, when I turn it back on again it works for a few more days - then locks up again. It's possible that flying aerobatics with it has caused some problems.

I wish I could use the car charger for it on a 28 volt system. I wish it didn't lock up. I wish it wasn't so blasted expensive. I wish I could upload songs from it to iTunes (without third party software).

gibbons said:
My current iPod will lock up for no reason and all I can do is let the battery drain so it shuts itself off.

Have you tried the reset procedure when it does this?

gibbons said:
I don't have a USB 2.0 card and I can attest that transfers from iTunes to the iPod is, as Jesse says, dirt slow.

(the first one locked up one day and never recovered). My current iPod will lock up for no reason and all I can do is let the battery drain so it shuts itself off. I wish it didn't lock up. I wish it wasn't so blasted expensive. I wish I could upload songs from it to iTunes .

Chip, thanks for your honest assesment of the Ipod. My experience with the Archos suggests these disk based MP-3 players need to be treated with kid gloves.

Bill Jennings said:
Chip, thanks for your honest assesment of the Ipod. My experience with the Archos suggests these disk based MP-3 players need to be treated with kid gloves.
I guess I'm just lucky with my iPod. It transfers data quickly. Only locked up a few times, and the reset procedure worked. I don't pull more than 4 G's with it, although I don't know how many G's it pulled when I accidentally dropped it to the floor a few times. :eek:

The only problem I had was the time I was flying commercially, and we hit a bump when I was touching it and it changed all the words to Chinese. I couldn't fix it for a bit, because I didn't know what Chinese word to "click" on to get to the menu, and what to "click" on if I even found the menu.

I LOVE my iPod! :yes:

I would say that if you're going to be doing Acro, an iPod nano would be best. Flash memory shouldn't be affected by pulling G's.

what kind of music do you guys have on your ipod?
'guys' includes Diana! (its a northern expression)

Let'sgoflying! said:

progressive rock
classic rock
new wave
punk
alternative
jazz
some country
some rap
classical (I like heavier stuff like Bethoven, Shostakovich, etc.)
blue grass
new grass

Depends on the mood! That is why I like the big hard drive models.

Let'sgoflying! said:

I thought it was "youse guys" ?

no iPod, but my wife and both my boys live with those silly white wires hanging from their ears ....

Last edited:
Diana said:
Hey, Bill, what's "new grass"? Never heard of it.

Taking grass and melding it with more popular music, kind of like some of Bela Fleck's stuff. A melding of grass and jazz, or grass and pop, grass and rock, etc.

Bill Jennings said:
Taking grass and melding it with more popular music, kind of like some of Bela Fleck's stuff. A melding of grass and jazz, or grass and pop, grass and rock, etc.
Oh, cool! I'm off to iTunes to sample some Bela Fleck music. :)

Diana said:
Oh, cool! I'm off to iTunes to sample some Bela Fleck music. :)

Sample some stuff from the first two or three Bela Fleck and the Flecktones albums...

My daughter wants an IPod and we're thinking of getting her one for an upcoming birthday. She and I have been discussing them and concluded that a 4GB flash Nano is a better deal than the hard drive based ones. I think it will hold more songs than she will ever get around to downloading and they are supposed to be far more rugged. In an airplane I'd be worried about the hard drive's longevity if you fly up high very often, although as long as it doesn't get bumped around a lot, I wouldn't be too concerned below twelve thousand DA (that's the DA inside the plane which can be several thousand above the ambient DA).

Bill Jennings said:
Questions:

1. Work? Yes. Veeeeeeeerrrrrryyyyyyyyy ssssslslllllllloooooowwwwwwwlllllllyyyyyy. USB 2.0 is 40 times faster than USB 1.1, and that makes a huge difference. If you decide to transfer that many songs via USB 1.1, plan on it taking overnight.

[*]I already have 5000 songs on the computer in MP-3 format, can I quickly dump them to the Ipod?

Quickly, within the limitations of your interface. It's not gonna be quick with USB 1.1.

[*]Do I need i-tunes installed on my computer to dump them?

Need? Well, technically no but it is by far the easiest way to do it. Download and install iTunes, drag your MP3 files onto it, plug the iPod in, it'll prompt you to name it and maybe one or two other things, and you're done. Again, if you're going to do the USB 1.1 overnight deal, just make sure that the transfer starts before you go to bed and it should finish just fine.

Really, there's not much of a learning curve for iTunes. Remember, user interface design is Apple's forte. It's one of the easiest to use programs ever written. The hardest part is figuring out what the various icons on the buttons mean, but they have "ToolTips" (keep the mouse still for a couple of seconds over the one you want to know about and it'll pop up and say something like "Show or hide item artwork and video viewer"). You'll have no trouble with learning iTunes at all.

But, not much you really need to do with iTunes before your trip except get the songs into it which should be a simple matter of dragging and dropping, depending on how you have your songs organized currently. Then, just plug in the iPod and you'll learn what "Plug and Play" *really* means. (And it's not "Plug, wait for Windows to try to figure out what the hell you just plugged in and prompt you for the install CD, install drivers, reboot, and then play" :rofl:)

Oh, and... What Jesse said.

And Mike. Aside from tunes, I would recommend you subscribe to some aviation-related podcasts. On the left-hand side of the iTunes window, click on "iTunes Store." The main part of the window will come up with the store content. In the upper-left box, click "podcasts". Then, in the box at the far upper-right hand corner of the window that says "Search iTunes Store" underneath, type "Aviation" or somesuch and you should find a bunch of aviation podcasts listed. The best ones, IMHO:

1. The Pilotcast. (duh. ;)) The shows are about an hour long and there's 48 of 'em, so you can have plenty to catch up on later. Frequent guests include our own Ron Levy, Dr. Bruce Chien, Tom Downey (and others), AvWeb's Rick Durden, and lots of other notable aviators. Fairly recently, we had actor/director/producer Tony Bill on to talk about Flyboys, Rinker Buck and Master CFI/Hudson corridor expert Doug Stewart to talk about the Lidle crash, and more. Other recommended episodes to listen to first include #18 (with Tom D, very educational), #25 with Rinker Buck (author of Flight of Passage, also available on the iTunes Store if you haven't read it yet), #33 with Blue Angels flight lead Boss Foley, #36 "The Gaston's Episode". Also, we got a ton of positive feedback about my full recording of the flight into Oshkosh Airventure, which is listed as "#40 OSH Update 1 Supplemental" or something like that.
2. The Finer Points. Quickie (6-8 min) episodes that focus on a very specific aspect of flying and how to do it better, from CFI Jason Miller (who did join PoA in the last week or so, I noticed...)
3. Fly With Me and Betty In The Sky With A Suitcase. The former is done by a Delta 777 captain, the latter by a Delta flight attendant. Both are very entertaining and well done, though they don't come out very often. IMHO the first episodes of Fly With Me to listen to are the retirement episode (around #6 or so), and this year's September 11th episode. Oh, and note that Fly With Me actually has two feeds, Fly With Me and Fly With Me X, you should subscribe to both.
4. The Flying Pilot podcast. American pilot who talks airlines, accidents, science, and history.
5. Airspeed, a GA podcast by a Michigan private pilot. Do not miss his latest episode, "First Solo." It's very touching and extremely well done.

What I do is to use the iPod's "on the go playlist" to put a bunch of podcasts and a few tunes in a playlist and let 'er rip. To add things to the on-the-go playlist on the iPod, just find what you want to add and when it's highlighted, hold down the select button (the one in the middle) until the selection blinks.

One last thing to know about the iPod: In the event it freezes up for some reason, the reset procedure some other folks have talked about is quite simple. Hold the select button and the menu button both down for a few seconds until an apple logo appears on the screen. This is the equivalent of the "three-finger salute" on your PC.

Oh, and if you're getting the video iPod (which the 80GB is), be sure to download the Blue Angels video in the Pilotcast feed as well. Pay special attention to the ridgeline crossing, it's way cool.

Hope I've helped a bit. ;)

gibbons said:
My current iPod will lock up for no reason and all I can do is let the battery drain so it shuts itself off. Then, when I turn it back on again it works for a few more days - then locks up again. It's possible that flying aerobatics with it has caused some problems.

Chip,

I'd imagine that it's not exactly designed for acro. I'm sure both the G's and the gyroscopic effects on the hard drive are pretty bad for it.

My suggestion: Drop the $$$ to get two new iPods. One nice video iPod that will be able to store everything, and one iPod Nano (flash-based, no moving parts) to put flying music on and fly acro with. They'll last a lot longer that way...

I might actually get another new iPod when the next generation comes out. My current one is the 60GB "photo" (not video) iPod, one generation old. Still works fine and suits my needs OK, but starting to think video would be cool. And beleive it or not, the price is actually attractive now. The original 5GB black and white songs-only iPod was $599 when it came out in 2001. Now you can get an 80GB iPod with color, photo and video capability in a smaller overall package with a bigger screen, for $349 (and that's the top end of the line). Yowzah.

Bill Jennings said:

Yeah, if by "kid gloves" you mean not pulling 6+ G's and twisting its poor hard drive this way and that! :eek: :goofy:

I've beat the crap out of 2 different iPods in my truck, both are still going strong (original 2nd-gen 10GB that I gave away, and my current 60GB photo).

Let'sgoflying! said:

Everything. Here's a sample:

Airmen of Note
Arturo Sandoval
Bach
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Billy Joel
Canadian Brass
Carlos Santana
dave mathews band
Dixie Power Trio
Eminem
Etta James
Faith Hill
Frank Sinatra
George Gershwin
Grateful Dead
Harry Connick Jr.
(Gustav) Holst
John Williams
Johnny Cash
Kansas
Kelly Clarkson
Led Zeppelin
Les Brown
Madonna
Maria Muldaur
Madison Scouts
Maynard Ferguson
Meat Loaf
Metallica
Miles Davis
Morton Gould
Motley Crue
Nine Inch Nails
No Doubt
Outkast
Ozzy Osbourne
Pink Floyd
Prince
Queen
Quiet Riot
Rachmaninoff
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Sean Paul
Shania Twain
Stan Kenton
Smashmouth
Snoop Doggy Dogg
Shostakovich
Tchaikovsky
Tears for Fears
U2
Us3
University of Wisconsin Varsity Band
Van Halen
Van Morrison
Weird Al
Will Smith
Willie Nelson
Yo-yo Ma
Youngblood Brass Band
ZZ Topp
Zebrahead

I wasn't kiddin' when I said everything. :no: Hmm, I've got classical, jazz, pop, rap, country, and lots of eclectic stuff in between. Variety is the spice of life, and I like it spicy! :yes:

Back