Questions regarding SI renewal

U

Unregistered

I have a student medical with a 6yr SI for sleep apnea.

I am coming up on the time I need to start the SI renewal process - this is my first time having to deal with a renewal.

The accompanying letter explaining the process says I have two options:
either take a status report from my treating physician to my AME or send the information to FAA. If I send to FAA I am to allow 60-90 days.

To me, this seems like a no brainer - take the information to the AME and get the SI renewed for another year without delay. Because I am not due for a physical for another year, the letter states I just need the SI renewed.

Now my questions - can it be this simple? Am I missing something? Is there any reason to go to FAA instead of the AME?

Thanks.

I can't speak to taking your info to the FAA, but I'm on the same SI for Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), and am on my 3rd renewal with my AME. What's worked for me is a letter from my physician that states the diagnosis (Obstructive Sleep Apnea), the treatment (CPAP for me), compliance with said treatment, and "exhibits no signs of daytime sleepiness". There is (or was) a document on the AOPA medical site that detailed the content of this letter.

Unregistered said:

I am coming up on the time I need to start the SI renewal process - this is my first time having to deal with a renewal.

either take a status report from my treating physician to my AME or send the information to FAA. If I send to FAA I am to allow 60-90 days.

To me, this seems like a no brainer - take the information to the AME and get the SI renewed for another year without delay. Because I am not due for a physical for another year, the letter states I just need the SI renewed.

Now my questions - can it be this simple? Am I missing something? Is there any reason to go to FAA instead of the AME?

Thanks.
If you have the authorization letter, it is a no brainer for any AME to issue. The rubs are twofold: (1) The letter to be credible needs to say that he has seen you (he can't just dry lab a letter) and (2) it MUST say that your CPAP is complied with and that you continue to have no tendacy beyond normal to fall asleep.

Bruce

Unregistered said:

Thanks.

Do you happen to be the guy Scott Marshall called me about yesterday? (He didn't name any names btw It's too odd to hear of two sleep apnea students within a day and not think they might be the same person ) If so, I was going to hook you up with Dr. Bruce anyway. Looks like you beat me to it. If you want to email me on the side there's at least one AME around here (greater MKE area) I would recommend avoiding like the plague.

Moxie, no, I don't think I'm the person you are thinking of.

Thanks, to all. Because this was such a big issue for me when I got the initial issuance (4 months deferral), I have done as much homework as I could, or knew how to do.

Yes, I'm aware of what information the status report should contain. The main reason for asking was because of the timing. If it is better to send the information to the FAA, then I need to schedule with my treating physician within the next 4-6 weeks so the report is current. If I go to my AME, then I don't need to schedule with my physician for months.

It is interesting that OSA seems to be more of an issue, more prevalent. The more familiar I get with it, I've been diagnosed for a year but have probably had it for many more years, the more people I hear about that also have it.

I asked this question on the 'other' forum - what happens after the 6 yr SI expires? My letter seems to imply that another sleep study/MWT may be required. Has anybody gotten to this point yet?

Thanks

Unregistered said:
I asked this question on the 'other' forum - what happens after the 6 yr SI expires? My letter seems to imply that another sleep study/MWT may be required. Has anybody gotten to this point yet?
I've got a couple more years on mine before that point, but I asked my AME that question, as well as Virtual Flight Surgeons when they presented at an Angel Flight meeting. Both believed that the FAA would have to look at the data and determine if it warranted further study and then, based on those findings, could simply reissue for another 6 year SI, revert to normal medical cycles, or tighten it up and request more testing. Sounds like a crap shoot to me.

A follow-up to the original post (I have a 3rd class student medical with a 6yr SI for apnea - The limitations state "Not valid for any class after Oct 31, 2005"). I also posted this on the 'other' board. This is pretty much a copy:

My physical is good until Oct 06, but my SI is good until Oct 05 (90 days from now). I am already contacting my AME and PCP to make sure they will be ready for me. This will be my first renewal.

I expect to be ready for my PP checkride in Oct, about the same time my AME should renew my SI.

My questions:

Is there the possibility of any gaps between my SI renewal and any PP certificate? Probably not, if the medical also doubles as a student certificate. Is there a separate document for the SI in addition to the medical/student or is a new medical/student certificate issued?

What kind of documentation will I have to carry separate from the PP certificate? The medical? The SI? or are they the same? I realize these are the same questions I just asked.

I'm new to this, and a lot of things will be happening at the same time. I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Thanks for any help.

Your AME has the ability to reissue your medical at his office if all is well. There is an article on the AOPA site (search "sleep apnea" under the medical section there) that explains what documentation to bring. I've been successfully renewed by my AME for 3 years now by providing a letter from my physician that details my compliance with CPAP and effectiveness of treatment indicated by lack of daytime sleepiness. The paper indicates that a Maintenance of Wakefulness test may be required, and others here have recommended obtaining such test. I have not needed it, but your result may vary. Good luck!

gkainz said:
Your AME has the ability to reissue your medical at his office if all is well. There is an article on the AOPA site (search "sleep apnea" under the medical section there) that explains what documentation to bring. I've been successfully renewed by my AME for 3 years now by providing a letter from my physician that details my compliance with CPAP and effectiveness of treatment indicated by lack of daytime sleepiness. The paper indicates that a Maintenance of Wakefulness test may be required, and others here have recommended obtaining such test. I have not needed it, but your result may vary. Good luck!
Greg pretty much has it. You should be in receipt of a letter from FAA stating what is required for your re-issuance. If not, start calling them. If you provided what it requires (and it's usually pretty much what Greg says) the AME can reissue.

The number to call is 405-954-4821...

Thanks for all the help.

I have the original letter with instructions, my primary care physician knows the information I need in the CPAP compliance report and is aware I will be calling for an appointment, my AME is aware of the circumstances and is aware I will be calling for an appointment.

I think I have all the bases covered, but I know the final responsibility is my own. Being the 'belt and suspenders' type, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.

Thanks again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back