Questions about the Lockwood Aircam

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Yesterday I went to the Aircam website and registered on their forum, but just while ago I tried to log on and it told me I had entered an invalid username/password. It also said my email address wasn't in their database when I tried to get them to email me my password (though I know I didn't forget it) and when I tried to re-register, it said that they were currently not allowing people to register, so I will ask questions about this aircraft on here.

-Although it is sold as a kit-built, will the Lockwood company build it for me (at extra cost)? If I buy it, I actually want to FLY it, not spend countless hours trying to assemble it myself. If not, can I hire an aircraft shop to assemble it for me and if so, how much would it cost?

-Can the Aircam legally be flown at night, provided it has the proper lighting and radio equipment?

-Can you buy an Aircam equipped with a Mode C transponder?

-Can a person who is 6' 3" tall comfortably fit in the seat with the enclosure? (It's traditonally an open-cockpit aircraft; however, a removable glass enclosure can be installed for winter flying, etc.).

No they will not build it for you, they do not hold a production certificate.

No you cannot hire someone to build it and still register it EAB. There are people who do it but it is illegal.

Yes it can be flown at night if it is equipped with the required equipment.

Yes you can put a mode c in it. You can put a mode s isn't you can put adsb in and out. You can put anything in it you want.

If you want one already built buy a flying and registered one.

Bob

Tha
No they will not build it for you, they do not hold a production certificate.

No you cannot hire someone to build it and still register it EAB. There are people who do it but it is illegal.

Bob

Well that makes no sense. It seems like it would be safer to have an experienced aircraft mechanic build it versus trying to put it together myself. Of course if I'm not mistaken, the regs also allow a person to fly an ultralight with just a valid drivers license; no training required. Someone would have to be a fool to fly with no training.

Tha

Well that makes no sense. It seems like it would be safer to have an experienced aircraft mechanic build it versus trying to put it together myself. Of course if I'm not mistaken, the regs also allow a person to fly an ultralight with just a valid drivers license; no training required. Someone would have to be a fool to fly with no training.
Its not "legal" but you can have someone build a plane for you. Seems to be quite common with Vans RV's. Few local guys are both getting RV 8s built for them. Seems to be one of those rules thats not really enforced unless your running a production line lol.

Its not "legal" but you can have someone build a plane for you. Seems to be quite common with Vans RV's. Few local guys are both getting RV 8s built for them. Seems to be one of those rules thats not really enforced unless your running a production line lol.

Can't say I blame them. I'm not a mechanic myself; it's all I can do just to change my own tire. I certainly don't trust myself to build a plane. :eek:

It is enforced more than you would think. The FAA can refuse an EAB cert for these pro built airplanes. The somewhat proper way is to have the builder buy the kit, build it, license it and then sell it.

Bob

Can't say I blame them. I'm not a mechanic myself; it's all I can do just to change my own tire. I certainly don't trust myself to build a plane. :eek:

Then just buy one that is flying. Don't jeopardize the EAB rules by trying to skirt the legalities. The us one of the few places that you can build your own aircraft for education an recreational purposes with out a lot of government red tape. As people that build our own planes do not want that freedom taken away because of abuse of the EAB rules.

The Aircams do come up for sale often enough that there is no need to build and no need to engage in some sort of quasi grey area of the FAA to get one. Having said that, I think they are one of the easier builds because they don't have tons of surface finishing, doors or canopies to fit, windows to fit, cowlings to fit, cushy interiors, or loads of avionics to install.

I would think you could build one way faster than a Vans RV, but I could be wrong.

I would think you could build one way faster than a Vans RV, but I could be wrong.

The problem is that he doesn't want to build one, he just wants to fly one. Some people are not mechanically inclined; some don't have the skills; some don't have the time, the work space, the desire to build.

The problem is that he doesn't want to build one, he just wants to fly one. Some people are not mechanically inclined; some don't have the skills; some don't have the time, the work space, the desire to build.
That is exactly why we build airplanes. If you don't know how to weld, you learn. Don't know how to rivet, you learn. Don't know how to fabric cover, you learn. Don't know how to turn a wrench, you learn. This is the very reason we have experimental amateur built airplanes. For education, research and learning opportunities.
Most plans/kit built aircraft require very basic tools and skills. Most plans built aircraft are able to be built with a hacksaw, oxy-fuel torch, a file and some wrenches. They are the most basic, rudimentary constructed machines on the planet.
Go to an eaa chapter meeting, go find a forum, ask around at the airport and you will find many people willing to help you.

There are ways to have your airplane built. The biggest thing the FAA cracks down on is the guys that pay to have them built and then apply for the repairman certificate. So if you go that route don't try to get a repairman certificate and you won't have any problems. Don

Simplest way is to a) Buy one already flying or b) Find somebody to buy, build and register it then buy it from them.

Cheers

Correct and correct.

How soon do you want it. I'm in the middle of two Supercubs right now but will have a slot open in June. Don

How soon do you want it. I'm in the middle of two Supercubs right now but will have a slot open in June. Don

Unfortunately I'm not in the market at this time. I'm asking about it in hopes of owning one one day.

I am an A&P/IA. If I were to build my own airplane, guess what? It would still be considered amateur built. But if I were to build it for you or help you build it, it would be considered professional assistance. At least that is what was explained to me.

What happens if a guy builds the kit right up to the point of completion, but just short (let's say it just needs the prop bolted on to fly) and then sells it to another guy? That second guy bolts on the prop, takes it to the DER and flies the 40 hours. Who gets the repairman certificate?

What happens if a guy builds the kit right up to the point of completion, but just short (let's say it just needs the prop bolted on to fly) and then sells it to another guy? That second guy bolts on the prop, takes it to the DER and flies the 40 hours. Who gets the repairman certificate?
The guy who gets it through certification will get the repairman certificate if he applies for it.

There's no requirement that any one builder do any particular share of the work (the 51% rule applies to the tasks not done by the kit manufacturer). The only requirement is that the aircraft be built for "recreational or educational purposes" to get the aircraft certified and then the person who declares himself the principal can get the repairman certificate.

There are ways to have your airplane built. The biggest thing the FAA cracks down on is the guys that pay to have them built and then apply for the repairman certificate. So if you go that route don't try to get a repairman certificate and you won't have any problems. Don

No problems there. I don't need no certificate, just an aircraft to fly. :)

The guy who gets it through certification will get the repairman certificate if he applies for it.

There's no requirement that any one builder do any particular share of the work (the 51% rule applies to the tasks not done by the kit manufacturer). The only requirement is that the aircraft be built for "recreational or educational purposes" to get the aircraft certified and then the person who declares himself the principal can get the repairman certificate.

not entirely correct. from ac65-23a:

ELIGIBILITY.
An individual desiring to be certificated as a repairman is required to:
a.Complete an application for a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder) at the time of original certification of
the aircraft along with FAA Form 8130-12 attesting to building more than 50 percent of the aircraft, which must be notarized.
b.Be a U.S. citizen, or an individual of country, who has been admitted for permanent residence in the United States.
c.Be 18 years of age or older and the primary builder of the aircraft. For example, when a school, club, or partnership build
s an aircraft, only one individual will be considered for a repairman certificate for each aircraft built, such as the class instructor
or designated project leader. This individual is considered the primary builder.
d.Demonstrate to the certificating FAA inspector the ability to perform condition inspections and to determine whether the subject
aircraft is in a condition for safe operation.

e.Present satisfactory evidence of building the aircraft such as a construction logbook,pictures, or drawings to be eligible for the certificate.

so, if you cannot prove to the inspector that you built the aircraft and have the ability to perform the inspections he can and should deny the application.

bob

That's the biggest thing the Feds look for is how much you know about the airplane. On both of my airplanes the inspectors where very thorough in the questions they asked. They will also want to see lots of pictures and a builder's log. I know of one instance that it was obvious that he did not build the airplane but they gave him an airworthiness but denied a repairman cert. Don

Back