Questions about retina laser surgery ("tacking down")

U

Unregistered

Hello

In a few weeks I am going to have laser surgery to "tack down" a few areas in my eye which are showing lattice degeneration.

I understand the surgery is pretty simple and very low risk. I also understand that I will experience 15 minutes of "flash blindness" after having it. The doctor does not want me to drive myself home especially given that I only have one eye (the other one is blind).

If I drive myself there but have a friend pick me up to go to dinner, will I be able to drive myself home 3-4-5 hours after the surgery? Will I even feel like having dinner - I doubt there will be pain but there might be some discomfort. Or even dinner and a movie with my friends, and then drive myself home? It would be dark by the time I drove myself home either way.

The doctor is roughly 25 miles from my home, and I'd definitely want to avoid rush hour.

Thanks

True, but he had gone home for the day and I was hoping to get this sorted so I could make plans. I figured Dr. B would see it before I had a chance to talk to my doctor.

Sadly, only your Dr. can answer this. It depends entirely on how much "tack down" he's going to have to do.....

There is minimal discomfort from the procedure itself. (I give my patients a couple of Tylenol when we instill the dilating drops 30 min prior). The dazzle from the laser is over in minutes (like recovering from camera flash, or entering a darkened theater after being exposed to sunlight). Typically, tropicamide and phenylephrine drops are used for dilation, so those will wear off in 4-6 hours. If dilation bothers you greatly (as for exams), you might avoid driving until your vision recovers (especially since you are one-eyed).

Wells
Ophthalmologist, or "Eye MD"

Anyone out there know if a history of lattice degeneration with no tears or breaks grounds for denying a class I certificate?
I had barrage LASSER on my left eye for LD last year. Retina s stable. I had no problems with my visual activity.

Udaya, if you require laser tx, the agency will follow your VFs and doc's comments for five years to prove stability. Lattice can mean the thing is falling apart like an old wet paper towel (it doesn't have to mean that but that's how FAA takes it). With that condition you should be seeing the ophthalmologist annually, anyhow....This is a special issuance.

Last edited:
Udaya, if you require laser tx, the agency will follow your VFs and doc's comments for five years to prove stability. Lattice can mean the thing is falling apart like an old wet paper towel (it doesn't have to mean that but that's how FAA takes it). With that condition you should be seeing the ophthalmologist annually, anyhow....This is a special issuance.

Thabkq for the reply.,. I already have DGCA class1 medical.,. Planning to take up FAA medical class1 in January 2017.,.will special iSusanne bring any restriction on flying and how hard is getting special issuance., can the AME help me with that.,how long does it usually take to get special issuance

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back