Questions about foreign instruction

Lakzz

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Lakzz
Hi,

I have three questions about flight instruction.

I'm an European citizen (France) in the US under a M1 visa. I came here for my flight training. Now, people around are encouraging me for doing a CFI license. I'm not really exited about getting in studies and checkrides again. But let's consider that I become a CFI.

A friend of mine (European) wants to become a pilot :

- Can I teach him in America without charging the guy?
(Example : we rent or buy an airplane and fly for a month. According to my experience, I had to involve my flight school and go through the TSA process. That's why I am wondering if the guy could simply come here as a tourist, fly with me and get a license. If not, is there a way to work it out? Please, enlight me)

- Can I teach somewhere else in the world?
(Example : We fly in France or Japan or anywhere else. Do we not need a TSA approval? How about the checkrides?)

- Does the flight training have to be done in a November airplane?

Thanks a lot,
Regis.

Interesting set of questions. I'm pretty sure I know some of the answers from my experience as an independent instructor who has taught foreign nationals.

You may charge whatever you want including nothing. In fact when I was working with my step-son I even paid for the plane.

Your students must either be US Citizens or go through the TSA approval process. They may not train on a tourist visa as far as I know. This is the biggest gray area in the whole process. Call the TSA and they say talk to the State department. State says we don't care.

I don't know about the other questions.

Joe

Back