Question source

ebetancourt

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Ernie
Is there a source of questions I can cut and paste into short quizzes for a pre-solo student? I am trying to make short (~10 question) tests. The student, my 15 y/o granddaughter is not hitting the books like I keep asking. I am at the point of saying we will have a test before our flight, flunk and we study instead of flying. She could pass the flying part of a PP ride,but would flunk the oral. I have told her she has to pass the PP written before I will solo her, but that seems to be going in one ear and out the other. May 2012 16th birthday.

Looking to save myself time instead of having to write the tests myself.

Ernie

If you want questions from the written exam test bank, you can always check out ASA's Prepware products. They run on many platforms including Apple's iOS.

Add on question would be, does she really desire to be a pilot? Or is this something she is doing because she enjoys doing something with Grandpa that he enjoys?

I went through the same thing with my daughter, then I finally realized that she was doing it for me and didn't really have the required passion or commitment.

Is there a source of questions I can cut and paste into short quizzes for a pre-solo student? I am trying to make short (~10 question) tests. The student, my 15 y/o granddaughter is not hitting the books like I keep asking. I am at the point of saying we will have a test before our flight, flunk and we study instead of flying. She could pass the flying part of a PP ride,but would flunk the oral. I have told her she has to pass the PP written before I will solo her, but that seems to be going in one ear and out the other. May 2012 16th birthday.

Ernie
Well you're going to have to give her a pre-solo written before she solos. That is not the PP written test.

An example of questions from my pre-solo written:

1.) Define and list teh following speeds for this aircraft
Vs0
Vs
Vx
Vy
Va
VFE
VNO
VNE

2.) List the following frequencies at KLNK:
ATIS
Clearance
Ground
Tower
West Approach Control
East Approach Control

3.) What airspeed do you use for a normal departure climb?

4.) What airspeed do you use on final?

5.) What is the airport elevation at KLNK?

6.) What is the traffic pattern altitude in MSL and AGL at LNK?

7.) What is the procedure (in order) for spin recovery?

8.) List steps (in order) for a go-around procedure:

9.) List the procedure to respond to an engine fire on the ground while starting

10.) List the procedure to respond to an engine fire in flight:

11.) What would you do if you found your speed too slow on final?

12.) What would you do if you bounce back into the air on landing?

13.) What is the minimum amount of time a pilot is required to wait after the consumption of alcohol?

14.) What is it necessary to drain fuel out of the sumps after refueling and before flying?

15.) Will the engine still run if the master switch is turned off?

16.) What three documents must you have in your possession to solo an aircraft as a student?

17.) What is the fuel capacity of the aircraft you fly?

18.) What is the oil capacity of the aircraft you fly, what is the minimum?

19.) What must a pilot do before entering class c airspace?

20.) What is the minimum reserve fuel required for day vfr operations?

21.) On the attached diagram of the LNK airport, identify runways 17, 35, 18, 36, 14, and 32; Taxiways Alpha Echo Kilo and November.

22.) On the attached diagram of the LNK airport, please indicate with a line starting at Silverhawk, showing your route and stopping point if you had the following taxi clearance: "Cherokee 8838J Taxi to runway 35 via kilo alpha" Label this line "RWY 35 Taxi"

23.) On the attached diagram of the LNK airport, please indicate with a line starting at Silverhawk, showing you route and stopping point if you had the following taxi clearance: "Cherokee 8838J Taxi to Runway 17 via echo alpha" Label this line RWY 17 taxi

24.) On the attached diagram of the LNK airport, draw lines to indicate left and right base legs for runways 17 and 35. Label these lines "LB17, "RB17", "LB35", and "RB35".

25.) What would you do if after your final landing and you are taxing off the runway and have not received any taxi instructions from ATC?

26.) What would you do if you are uncertain about an ATC instruction or clearance?

Definitely not about spending time with me. Has several solo flights planned already. Flying has been too easy both from availability and effort to learn. I am trying to make it more of an effort. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The pre solo test would be way too easy (yes, I will follow the regs). I am insisting that she pass the PP written. By solo time we will have all the requirements for the PP license but the solo stuff. After that she will start on the IR, probably with someone else since the Citabria won't work for that.

Ernie

Ernie
I would consider one of the DVD based courses for her (King Schools, Sporty's etc). It worked for me when I was an 18 year old student pilot. Some people find the FAA and Gleim books to be a bit boring (I didn't regularly use books to study for a checkride/written until I went for my Commercial), but do well with the Video based stuff.

I googled out a bunch, very easily, when I studied for pre-solo test. I noticed quickly that they all were quite similar. I did a bit of "genetic analysis", and found that they stemmed from Jeppesen sample test.

Back