Question regarding written expiration date

pilot117

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
pilot117
Here's the questions:

Does a check ride have to be completed, or just started prior to the expiration of the written test? Does the reason for a discontinuance make any difference, weather vs. personal performance on either the oral or flying portion of the check ride?

Here's the situation. I've been working feverishly to finish my IR prior to the expiration of my written test, NEXT WEDNESDAY. My plane had to go into the shop for some avionics repair and then I had to leave town due to a death in the family. I'm now back and my plane is out of the shop and working well but my CFII has to leave town for the weekend now. Suppose everything lines up and he gets back and I'm able to schedule a check ride for next Tuesday. If the weather fails me and I'm unable to fly on Tuesday or Wednesday, am I hosed? If I can't fly Tuesday, but am able to start the check ride and complete the oral, am I safe or still hosed because I can't complete the check ride? I'm going to try and schedule the check ride for next Tuesday and pray for good weather. I just want to know if Tuesday comes and the weather is crap should I go forward with the oral portion or just cancel all together because I can't complete the ride before the written expiration.

From 14 CFR 61.39:
Sec. 61.39

Prerequisites for practical tests.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, to be eligible for a practical test for a certificate or rating issued under this part, an applicant must:
(1) Pass the required knowledge test within the 24-calendar-month period preceding the month the applicant completes the practical test, if a knowledge test is required;
No exceptions for the reason for discontinuance. If you don't complete the practical test by the end of October 31st, you'll have to retake the written.

Back