Question regarding add-on

pgase83

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
pgase83
Hi there,
I'm a retired French army helicopter pilot: Super Puma.(3300 hour of flight)
I'm US CFII ASEL and AMEL( 260 hours of flight).
I haven't flown for 6 years now but I would like to go Florida to obtain all my US helicopter ratings.
My question is:
what are the latest news regarding add-on from fixed wings to helicopter?

I was thinking of flying fixed wings again for few hours "to refresh" everything and myself then start the exams.:yes:
I will appreciate any advice.

Merci:fcross:

Last edited:
Since you already hold a US Commercial ASMEL, you will need to take another knowledge ("written") test on helo stuff, but with your background, that shouldn't be hard. The fact that you have 3300 hours of helo time will almost certainly cover all the experience squares for your additional RH rating except training time (the FAA doesn't count foreign military instruction as FAA-acceptable "training time"), but you will need to do a minmal amount of helo training to reach proficiency and fill the very few training time squares before taking the helo add-on ride -- probably around 10-20 hours depending on your current level of helo proficiency and familiarity with whatever type you train in.

To add the RH rating to your CFI ticket, you'll have to take the CFI-RH written (pretty much the same as the Comm-RH test -- consider taking them back-to-back), but once you add the RH to your pilot certificate, there are no minimum flight training requirements before you take the CFI-RH add-on practical test -- train to proficiency, and away you go.

Thank you for your quick and pertinent response.

If I understand I need:
-a commercial helo written test and a practical test
-a CFI-RH written test and a practical test
-a CFII-RH written test and a practical test
Is that correct?

I'm reading 61.63 and (5). If he has a commercial cert. for his CFII ASEL then a written is not required for his comm. rotorcraft. He will of course have to pass the oral and practical. By the way I'm in a similar boat....

I'm reading 61.63 and (5). If he has a commercial cert. for his CFII ASEL then a written is not required for his comm. rotorcraft. He will of course have to pass the oral and practical. By the way I'm in a similar boat....
It's been about 10 years but I had a commercial ASMEL and I didn't need to take any written tests to get a commercial helicopter add-on, or a CFI add-on for that matter.

My bad -- no need for the Commercial written because he already has a powered aircraft rating. However, since this is a different category, the CFI-RH rating is required for the CFI add-on. 61.185(a)(2).

Ron, how about 61.185 (3) (b) (1) ? I didn't what to comment earlier on the CFII part because I wasn't sure....but reading this I still don't think he has to take a CFI written either... I have never taking a CFI written, or have a CFI certificate.

Ron, how about 61.185 (3) (b) (1) ? I didn't what to comment earlier on the CFII part because I wasn't sure....but reading this I still don't think he has to take a CFI written either... I have never taking a CFI written, or have a CFI certificate.
That only gets you out of the FOI test or a test for an additional class rating in the same category (e.g., CFI-ASE doesn't need a new written to add AME, and CFI-RH doesn't need a new written to add gyroplane).

Hi there,
I haven't flown for 6 years now but I would like to go Florida to obtain all my US helicopter ratings.
My question is:

I was thinking of flying fixed wings again for few hours "to refresh" everything and myself then start the exams.:yes:

Log book, medical and two checkrides (commercial and CFI-R). Depending on how long it's been since your ratings, you may or may not need TSA approval. That's something to check into.

You may also consider doing the ATP written and doing those rides.

If you come to South Fl, give a shout.

Hi there,
My question is:

Look in the user list and contact Laurie. She teaches helicopters in
Floriduh. I believe in Sikorskys.

Thanks for all your answers, I will be in florida at the end of this year, have to find a good school not too far from Ft Lauderdale.

Back