Question Re: Class 3 Medical

Sammie Joseph

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sammie3
I am new to the forum and began working on my PPL 10 years ago. I can't really find a clear answer that addresses my question so I wanted to post and get any feedback.

I have 25 hours of flight time from 2012 and a handful of additional hours since then. In 2012, I was told by my instructor to obtain my medical but was not given any direction, etc. I was honest about my medication and spent 6 months going back & forth with the FAA and my doctor. This was back when they only did things via snail mail (maybe they still do?) and the FAA kept wanting additional information otherwise they would chalk the request up as a denial if I failed to respond within 90-180 days.

While all of this was going on, we found out we were having our 1st of 3 kiddos so I decided to put everything on hold and notified the FAA that I was going to put this on hold due to us starting a family. However they ultimately denied my medical since I didn't keep going back & forth with them, even though my doctor provided several letters about my medication addressing all of their questions.

Now that my 3 children are a bit older, I am looking to obtain my PPL and cannot figure out where to start. I am not on the same medication I was on in 2012 but I do take some medication to help me sleep (zolpidem) on an as-needed basis and Wellbutrin (mainly to keep me focused during the long work days). My brother and I own a commercial real estate development & acquisition company and I also trade equities, derivatives and futures contracts in addition to spending 12 years simultaneously in finance. The reason I am on these medications is solely related to stress within my job - I am not depressed nor do I take anything for recreational use.

My questions is this: What do I need to do to re-apply? Also, would this prohibit me from flying sport aircraft? Is there an expiration time frame for a "failed" medical or will I need to address things from 10 years ago before moving to my current medical?

I have reached out to Dr. Chien several times, but I have yet to receive a response. At this point in my life, I just want to fly. I would be willing to forfeit all medication from my doctor if it meant I could fly. Otherwise, I am very healthy and have zero physical or mental conditions that would prevent me from flying. I want to avoid what happened 10 years ago and do this more efficiently, which is why I am asking for your guidance.

Thank you in advance.
Sam

Last edited:
as you are seeking Dr. C's input, I will defer to him.

I am new to the forum and began working on my PPL 10 years ago. I can't really find a clear answer that addresses my question so I wanted to post and get any feedback.

I have 25 hours of flight time from 2012 and a handful of additional hours since then. In 2012, I was told by my instructor to obtain my medical but was not given any direction, etc. I was honest about my medication and spent 6 months going back & forth with the FAA and my doctor. This was back when they only did things via snail mail (maybe they still do?) and the FAA kept wanting additional information otherwise they would chalk the request up as a denial if I failed to respond within 90-180 days.

While all of this was going on, we found out we were having our 1st of 3 kiddos so I decided to put everything on hold and notified the FAA that I was going to put this on hold due to us starting a family. However they ultimately denied my medical since I didn't keep going back & forth with them, even though my doctor provided several letters about my medication addressing all of their questions.

Now that my 3 children are a bit older, I am looking to obtain my PPL and cannot figure out where to start. I am not on the same medication I was on in 2012 but I do take some medication to help me sleep (zolpidem) on an as-needed basis and Wellbutrin (mainly to keep me focused during the long work days). My brother and I own a commercial real estate development & acquisition company and I also trade equities, derivatives and futures contracts in addition to spending 12 years simultaneously in finance. The reason I am on these medications is solely related to stress within my job - I am not depressed nor do I take anything for recreational use.

My questions is this: What do I need to do to re-apply? Also, would this prohibit me from flying sport aircraft? Is there an expiration time frame for a "failed" medical or will I need to address things from 10 years ago before moving to my current medical?

I have reached out to Dr. Chien several times, but I have yet to receive a response. At this point in my life, I just want to fly. I would be willing to forfeit all medication from my doctor if it meant I could fly. Otherwise, I am very healthy and have zero physical or mental conditions that would prevent me from flying. I want to avoid what happened 10 years ago and do this more efficiently, which is why I am asking for your guidance.

Thank you in advance.
Sam
You're going to want to find an AME in your area that works with hard cases and have a consultation. You're not eligible for sport pilot now until you get a medical. But you can fly balloons or gliders.

http://steinmetz.org/peter/flying/faaMedicalInfo.html

Thank you all for the help! I sincerely appreciate it. I found an old email from Dr. Chien and I from 2012 and sent it to him and just noticed you all paged him. Well, I'm happy to report that he has reached out to me. I appreciate you all assisting me with this. I cannot wait to get back up in the sky - there is nothing better.

Hi. You need to see a new AME, he will have to defer your certificate because of your previous denial. You'll get a letter from the FAA in 4-6 weeks asking for a ton of information. You need to give them everything they require or you will be denied again. In the meantime, if you really want to fly the best thing you can do is to get off the medications, especially the Wellbutrin. However, do not stop it suddenly. With the help of your physician see if you can be weaned off it. If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me directly. I'm a pilot and AME.

Thank you in advance.
Sam

I had some flying in in 2013 and at the time was taking xanax and adderall and was dealing with sleep apnea. I was deferred/denied and give the letter to do a cogscreen/neuropsychological evaluation and a new sleep study. I then put everything on the backburner until late last year when i decided to pick it up. I contacted a HIMS-AME in the new year and talked to them about my case (i'm not a HIMS case-I just wanted someone who had dealt with the process). He told me to go ahead and go into MedExpress and reapply and we'd do a new physical to "reopen" my file which we did. I had discontinued both xanax and adderall prior to this and I went ahead and scheduled my cogscreen & neuropscyhological evaluation and sleep study. I completed those and after having my cpap for 30 days I packaged it all up and the AME sent it in to OKC. Approximately 8 weeks later I had my special issuance for a 3rd class. Like someone else said You'll have to quit the wellbutrin although I think you can go down the SSRI Protocol with it although that's going to delay you even further. I'd say get off the medication for at least 60 days and maybe even 90 before you go in for your exam. I have a feeling they will make you do the cogscreen/neuropsychological evaluation at the minimum (which isn't a big deal but it's expensive (mine was $2200). After that it's just a sit and wait but like I said it was only 8 weeks between the time my stuff was all sent in and I got my medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back