Question on Vectors to ILS

Scott@KTYR

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Scott@KTYR
I flew into Mena Arkansas (KMEZ) yesterday using the ILS 27 to land. I ask Memphis Center for Vectors and he said they were not allowed to do that at Mena and he cleared me to Fench (IAF) and I did a procedure turn and landed.

Can anyone explain why he could not give me vectors?

Maybe no radar coverage at those altitudes?

I flew into Mena Arkansas (KMEZ) yesterday using the ILS 27 to land. I ask Memphis Center for Vectors and he said they were not allowed to do that at Mena and he cleared me to Fench (IAF) and I did a procedure turn and landed.

Can anyone explain why he could not give me vectors?

I can think of a reason it wouldn't be possible, but I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed. What was your route and altitude to FENCH?

It could also be the fact that either the terrain or the MOA there precluded them from bringing you in at a reasonable intercept angle and at an altitude that you could continue the approach from.

I was coming in from the Southwest and my heading was 021 deg and I was at 4000 alt.
The airport is in a valley with mountains on the North and South sides.
Radar coverage could be the reason for no vectors.
When I left it took 15 min. on the phone to get a clearance out of there.

I'm going to guess because all of the transition routes have an MEA of 4200, the MVA is probably above that.

I was coming in from the Southwest and my heading was 021 deg and I was at 4000 alt.
The airport is in a valley with mountains on the North and South sides.
Radar coverage could be the reason for no vectors.
When I left it took 15 min. on the phone to get a clearance out of there.

The Radar coverage is challenging at MEZ. If you can depart VFR and pick it up at altitude, that is your best bet. I have never gotten vectors there, always cleared for the full approach from wherever I was.

Might not have been possible yesterday though.

Radar coverage probably, another possibility is no final approach course depicted on the scope

Back