Question: Logging Practice ILS Approaches

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
During some recent checkout rides for joining a local aircraft club, the instructor coached me through a few practice ILS approaches at KAFW. All were done in VFR conditions and no view limiting device was worn.

I have yet to start any official IFR training.

Are these a loggable events?

(BTW; it was very cool to see the ILS system in action and fly the needles)

Almost certainly not.

It's possible that you were in actual instrument conditions, say, if you folks did that on a dark moonless night with no good ground references, in which case you could log actual instrument time and count the approach even though you were in legal VMC. But otherwise, no, it doesn't count for instrument time or instrument events for recent experience.

For more on this, see http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1080446.

Plus, there is no point to logging them (other than for your own - "oh yeah, I remember that") because when you pass your check ride that is when your six calendar month currency begins, even though you'll probably only do 3 approaches on your check ride.

Plus, there is no point to logging them (other than for your own - "oh yeah, I remember that") because when you pass your check ride that is when your six calendar month currency begins, even though you'll probably only do 3 approaches on your check ride.
Agreed, although the instrument time (if had been actual) would count towards the required 40 (and maybe also the required 15 hours of instrument flight training if the instructor was a CFI-IA).

Back