Question for you Oklahoma airplane owners

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Its looking like we my be relocating to Oklahoma in the near future and I was wondering what type of taxes owners pay there. I know you don't pay PP taxes on cars, but what about airplanes? Would I be better off to register it under a LLC or as an individual?

Thread creap....but.....

COME ON DOWN!!! Good to have a fellow POA'er here. Sorry, not an aircraft owner. Other than that, it's a cheap cost of living. If you are in Tulsa...need a aircraft partner? hehehe

Thread creap....but.....

COME ON DOWN!!! Good to have a fellow POA'er here. Sorry, not an aircraft owner. Other than that, it's a cheap cost of living. If you are in Tulsa...need a aircraft partner? hehehe
If it happens it will be to the Ada area.

I don't live in Oklahoma any more, but did work for the Tulsa County Assessor many moons ago. Boats and airplanes are personal property there and provide nice tax revenues for the counties. As a result, American Airlines moved their overnight facilities to Dallas from Tulsa during the '70s.

You should be able to get a good idea of the tax liability by calling the county Assessor's office.

With reference to cars, I kind of remember paying a portion of the license plate (tag) fee as personal property. Must admit I've been away for 20 years now and memory is growing dim.

Last edited:
Aunt Peggy is correct on the non aviation tax issues. You do pay for the tag with more money. I figure either way the state is going to get your money.

When I moved to Oklahoma from Texas, Oklahoma sent me a SALES TAX BILL for my airplane, even though I had purchased it in Indiana while I lived in Texas, NINE MONTHS before I moved to Oklahoma (apparently they check the FAA database for new registrations in Oklahoma). I called them to explain, thinking it had to be an error. It wasn't. Oklahoma still wanted 3.25% unless I had a receipt for sales tax in Texas. It is absurd to me that I can move to another state, and somehow owe them sales tax on items I had purchased months before moving, but that is how they do it here. I looked up the laws regarding Aircraft taxes here, and that is actually how they read. I then started looking into what happens if you don't pay the tax. When they started talking about the Sheriff seizing property, I gave up and paid their ransom.

Another Oklahoma plane owner told me shortly after I moved here that "in Oklahoma, planes have their sales value, and they have their tax value".

If you are the only person flying it, I would register it as an individual. Let us know when/if you get here, we have some good fly-ins occasionally.

Patiently waiting for my bill too. Amazing to think that the state of New Jersey with all of it's budget issues is so much better to airplane owners than a state like Oklahoma.:no:

But it was nice to see my boss was able to designate which airport rec'd the benefit of the tax on his Citation Sovereign. I think it was GOK to the tune of 6 digits...

When I moved to Oklahoma from Texas, Oklahoma sent me a SALES TAX BILL for my airplane, even though I had purchased it in Indiana while I lived in Texas, NINE MONTHS before I moved to Oklahoma (apparently they check the FAA database for new registrations in Oklahoma). I called them to explain, thinking it had to be an error. It wasn't. Oklahoma still wanted 3.25% unless I had a receipt for sales tax in Texas. It is absurd to me that I can move to another state, and somehow owe them sales tax on items I had purchased months before moving, but that is how they do it here. I looked up the laws regarding Aircraft taxes here, and that is actually how they read. I then started looking into what happens if you don't pay the tax. When they started talking about the Sheriff seizing property, I gave up and paid their ransom.

Another Oklahoma plane owner told me shortly after I moved here that "in Oklahoma, planes have their sales value, and they have their tax value".

If you are the only person flying it, I would register it as an individual. Let us know when/if you get here, we have some good fly-ins occasionally.

Move here to Washington state with what the state calls "non-essential transportation" and you'll find the same thing. Bought that RV 15 years ago in Oregon? Doesn't matter. No sales tax there, so fork over. How about that boat? Same deal. Fortunately, I had purchased both when I lived in California and could show I'd already paid sales tax there. BTW, if the tax had been lower than the Washington state sales tax I would have been nicked for the difference.

And we want governments why?

Back