Question for planning

George The Jeff

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
George
Would a hybrid work? Like, gas for the way up and the travel, but electricity on the way down.

Would it work? sure if you put money and effort into it. Is it worth it? given the nature of your question and that you are so new to the forum I would think not unless you are are extremely knowledgeable of aircraft systems and you can make an edge on performance, I would actually think electric+gas on the way up (more power for climb) and gas only for cruising is the way to go, but are the weight savings in fuel/gas engine size worth for the gain weights on battery? are the dollar saving on gas worth the spending on electric motor + batteries? Companies like pipistrel are working on it, we'll see in a few years if it was worth the hype, my guess is that at first it won't be worth it and will just be a novelty configuration for "green" publicity, but it will eventually pay for itself given how cheap electricity is compared with avgas and how batteries are becoming lighter and cheaper. This is what those companies are betting on, that they will be early on the game and become market leaders

Back