Question for Oakland County, MI pilots

lucus86

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
kyle
Hi my name is kyle, I'm interested in starting a career in aviation, I like being a passenger when I travel in jet to different parts of the country for vacations, currently I'm in the restaurant business and questioning getting out... I ran this idea pass a cpl close friends and my father, they brought up a good point, being I might like being in large aircraft like jets as a passenger, but I've never been in a small aircraft(and I may not like it) , and correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the only way to start a pilot career is to start in a small single engine aircraft,
so what I'm looking for is someone that would be willing to take me up with them, I live in Oakland County Michigan about 30 min from Oakland County international airport ( "kptk" I believe)
I would be willing to get coffee or meet up with you beforehand so you can make a decision on letting me fly with you as your passenger, thank you for your time and consideration and I hope to back from someone

I'm not from PTK, but I can suggest to you, that you visit or call a local flight school either at PTK or over at Romeo State (I am familiar with the Rochester Hills area etc.) and tell them you would like to schedule a discovery flight. This would be your best bet as to deciding whether or not its for you. From there you can choose to take lessons toward a Private Pilot's License or not, good luck!

Victory Aviation is the flight school over at Romeo State.
http://victory-aviation.com/contact_us.html

-Ryan

Last edited:
There are a number of flight schools at KPTK where you can inquire -- Flight 101 comes to mind, and there are also freelance flight instructors (CFIs) who fly out of KPTK who you can hire as well for a discovery flight.There are also several CFIs at KVLL in Troy who do discovery flights. PM me if you want a couple of names. I was based at KVLL for several years. Oakland County is a good place to start learning to fly -- or to figure out if it's something you really want to do.

And you are correct. You first step is a Private Pilot's Certificate which you would typically obtain in a single engine plane such as a Cessna 172. Then you would move on to multi engine and more ratings before you even get close to the big boys.

The Discovery Flight is a very common thing and designed for people just like you. Get ya up with a CFI to show ya a bit of the ropes and see if it is your thing. Would highly suggest that over just a fun flight with a random pilot if you are thinking about perusing aviation. You will learn a lot more in that short flight.

I recently completed my PPL with Flight 101 at PTK. Great people. I worked with Matt and Don - both great instructors. They have a good deal for an intro flight, give them a call, talk to Matt and set something up. They had me very ready for my checkride at 53 hours and I passed with no problem.

They mostly use 172's, but also have a DA40.

Back