Question about working MX for airlines

cleared4theoption

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy
Hey everybody. I start my AMT courses in August. I have a question (for any of you in the know) about hiring into regional airlines right out of AMT school.
First of all...is it done a lot?
Second, I know that most airlines have "Heavy" bases and "Line Maintenance" bases. Usually the Line bases have the more senior techs...but can "green" AMT's get lucky and get hired to a Line base?

I have known a few people who have been hired "green" direct into the airlines, but most of them get hired "green" into MRO's. MRO's seem to like them because it is cheap labor, then after a few months, many will move on to an airline or another maintenance base for more money.

I was actively recruited by American Eagle at the end of power plant.

11.75/hr at LaGuardia 3rd shift wasn't appealing...

Airlines are a common destination for recent graduates of maintenance schools. If you can live on the wages and don't mind the environment, and don't mind a not-too-diverse job, then it's a good place to start.

Airlines don't offer nearly the security they once did, and a lot of folks don't find them appealing. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try. It might be for you.

I know the starting pay isn't great...but from what I understand, after awhile, it gets better...I am setting up my finances to be able to absorb the pay cut i will have to take.

I have known a few people who have been hired "green" direct into the airlines, but most of them get hired "green" into MRO's. MRO's seem to like them because it is cheap labor, then after a few months, many will move on to an airline or another maintenance base for more money.

I think I know...but am not sure...what is an MRO?

A lot of airlines will hire through employment agencies to test drive the mechanic first, or to just fill a shortfall then let you go. Ive worked for employment agencies, large fbo's, small fbo's and in the end none will provide you with stable work or long term employment. Thats why I decided to go out on my own.

I came back to work for my father's GA shop right out of Spartan. I was so convinced that the airlines were the only way for me and my future. My father told me that I wouldn't be happy there between the pace and doing the same jobs for long periods of time. I don't know if he was right or wrong, I stayed in GA from the beginning.

I'm sure people's experiences are different. In my 35 years and still going in this business, they have been the greatest and I have no regrets looking back. You should consider a career in GA. You can get the chance to do so many different jobs, live in different areas, and have the opportunity to make very good money. My last tip in my rant is, to specialize in one series of aircraft. Be the best you can in your field.

If you can get hired into a good corporate operation the top end pay will beat what the airlines can pay. To go that route you might look into getting into a charter and management company as your first stepping stone.

Back