Question about seizures and getting a PPL

TandN22

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TandN22
Hello, my name is Nathan and I was hoping I could get an answer to a quick question I had.

I've already done a little bit of research but can't find exactly what I'm looking for, or a definitive answer. I've read that in order to receive your PPL (Private Pilot's License) you have to be 10 years seizure free, without medication. I was just wondering if this is the same amount of time you have to be seizure free if on medication.

I've read answers from 3 years to 4 years seizure free with medication, and even talked to somebody from the FAA Medical Clearance department, and she said that you can be 3 years seizure free with medication and still get medical clearance.

I was just hoping somebody could help clear this up for me definitively so I know the answer for sure. Thank you in advance!

The definitive answer lies with Dr. Bruce Chien, senior AME, available at aeromedicaldoc.com. Accept no substitutes! Good luck to you, Nathan, If anyone can get you a medical certificate, it is Bruce.

-Skip

Welcome to PoA! we hope you will stick around and participate in other threads and forums!

To get the right answer, head over to Dr. Bruce Chien's website, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html and fill in the blanks with who you are and what your question is. The good doctor will respond when he is able.

He does occasionally respond here, but for a more immediate and confidential answer, the website is the better way.

Thank you both will head over there right away! And I planned on sticking around these forums, if that's alright with y'all :p

Seems like a wonderful atmosphere and place to be.

We should also mention that you should never apply for the medical certificate (aka a "live exam") until you know without question that you will leave the AME's office with your medical in hand. This is accomplished by being 100% honest with Dr. Bruce and listening to his guidance. Then following his instructions on what to do and what to obtain from your treating physicians.

Going in for a live exam when significant questions still exist puts you in jeopardy of having your application denied. Avoid this. Once your are denied, your flying dream is pretty much dead. Appealing the denial is possible, but iffy, difficult, and expensive. Better to avoid being denied.

We should also mention that you should never apply for the medical certificate (aka a "live exam") until you know without question that you will leave the AME's office with your medical in hand. This is accomplished by being 100% honest with Dr. Bruce and listening to his guidance. Then following his instructions on what to do and what to obtain from your treating physicians.

Going in for a live exam when significant questions still exist puts you in jeopardy of having your application denied. Avoid this. Once your are denied, your flying dream is pretty much dead. Appealing the denial is possible, but iffy, difficult, and expensive. Better to avoid being denied.

Thank you very much for your time and effort Mike :D I will do just that.

Just from your personal knowledge, what would you say my chances of being cleared are if I've gone, say, 5 years seizure free but have had a lot of seizures in the past, like 20+ in a span of a few years? Does it matter how many I've had in my past if I've gone without them for an extended period of time?

Just from your personal knowledge, what would you say my chances of being cleared are if I've gone, say, 5 years seizure free but have had a lot of seizures in the past, like 20+ in a span of a few years? Does it matter how many I've had in my past if I've gone without them for an extended period of time?
Unfortunately, unable to answer due to lack of personal knowledge on the subject.

Not an AME, didn't stay at the Holiday Inn, and didn't play on on TV.

I only can provide very general guidance on how to navigate the airspace that is FAA Medical based on what I have learned over the years paying attention to what Dr. Chien has posted on various forums and the occasional conversation at pilot gatherings.

Unfortunately, unable to answer due to lack of personal knowledge on the subject.

Not an AME, didn't stay at the Holiday Inn, and didn't play on on TV.

I only can provide very general guidance on how to navigate the airspace that is FAA Medical based on what I have learned over the years paying attention to what Dr. Chien has posted on various forums and the occasional conversation at pilot gatherings.
Answered this privately but the answer is 10 years seizure free, the last 3 of which, have to be without medications.

Thank you for the correct info, Dr. Bruce!

okay-smiley-men-s-premium-t-shirt.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back