Question about Promotion Ceremony in Military

spiderweb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ben
My brother-in-law will be promoted to Marine Gunnery Sergeant this Friday, at the D.C. Marine Barracks.

Is there anything traditional we can get him as a gift, or should do at the ceremony? He says there's no dress code for us, but would dressing up be appropriate?

Any help would be appreciated!

Even at the level of gunny, promotion ceremonies are usually just in utes or service uniform (i.e., not dressed up). I'd go for business casual for civilians.

A bottle would be fine. Also, you can get some trinket engraved/embroidered with his name and new rank. I had a friend who I knew was an avid marathon runner so I got him a USMC running pullover (from the USAA catalog) custom embroidered with name and rank.

My brother-in-law will be promoted to Marine Gunnery Sergeant this Friday, at the D.C. Marine Barracks.

Is there anything traditional we can get him as a gift, or should do at the ceremony? He says there's no dress code for us, but would dressing up be appropriate?

A case of his favorite.

An engraved KA-BAR and a bottle of scotch. If pressed for time, you can go to the BX on base and find some trinket that’s appropriate for a promotion.

Shirt with tie and slacks is usually appropriate but I’ve seen all types.

... at the D.C. Marine Barracks.

Decide what you’ll be most comfy in and ask him if that’s good.

Ask if this is a formation (you’ll be sitting in bleachers/auditorium) or individual (more intimate setting).

Polo and slacks should be fine for either.

I personally wouldn’t go for a gift, unless you know him real well, and I would present it outside of the ceremony instead of bringing it to the ceremony as it may well be the only gift there.

Lots of people recommended a bottle of his favorite. That’s a common gift. A decanter with the stripes or Eagle, Globe, and Anchor and date of promotion on it would be nice.

1cc53a455506023979e33eddeb9fbd08.png

While this is a significant milestone in his career, being there just may be enough.

In 20+ years I never saw a promotee receive a gift. I certainly did not. Retirements are a different thing.

As far as what to do -- stand or sit when instructed, or when others do. If the nat'l anthem is played or an honor guard brings in the flag, obey proper etiquette for a civilian. Have seen them done both with and without.

I got a kiss from the CO and a slap on the back from my wife. Wait. Hold,on. I'm confused which one was which.

Anyway, I never received any gifts other than the chevrons on my shoulders and the increase in pay.

All the promotion ceremonies I've been through (including my own) have been informal and non-public. Even for the junior officers. It's normally been the CO pinning stripes or a bar on a BDU uniform during morning formation.

In 20+ years I never saw a promotee receive a gift. I certainly did not. Retirements are a different thing.

As far as what to do -- stand or sit when instructed, or when others do. If the nat'l anthem is played or an honor guard brings in the flag, obey proper etiquette for a civilian. Have seen them done both with and without.

My experience was the same, including making the jump from enlisted to commissioned. They did have a cake the day I retired, though.

Bob

Marine eh..... How about a good book.??

5d24e1db8a71208efc3a14281cfb188e--book-lists-childrens-books.jpg

Seriously, something personal that can be engraved with name, date and new rank. I would think it will be hot this time of the year in D.C. so business casual would seem appropriate.

My last promotion came through the mail. It just stated that my temporary rank was now permanent. It came after I was already out.

My promotions were your name comes out on the promotion list, and when it's time to sew the stripes on they give you your orders to do so. No ceremony. No big deal.

Marine eh..... How about a good book.??

5d24e1db8a71208efc3a14281cfb188e--book-lists-childrens-books.jpg

Seriously, something personal that can be engraved with name, date and new rank. I would think it will be hot this time of the year in D.C. so business casual would seem appropriate.

My last promotion came through the mail. It just stated that my temporary rank was now permanent. It came after I was already out.

Now THAT was funny. :lol:

They will be in the uniform of the day. You are probably good with jeans and a polo. Take him out to dinner and call it a day. I never had a ceremony for making rank. I even turned down the "ceremony" when I became a senior NCO. All they wanted was for me and the others to chip in a buy drinks for all the freeloaders we couldn't stand, so I just invited my friends over and I bought the booze.

I've been retired many years. When some of my good buddies were promoted I bought then Bullion shoulder straps for their dress blues. (Army)
Get him chevrons for his Marine dress blues, Staff NCO Sword if he doesn't have one, swagger stick if the Marines still carry them.

Just went to a USN promotion at the Pentagon, mix of summer whites and khakis for those on duty, suits to business casual for the civilians. I was business casual and did not feel out of place at all.

Your attendance is really gift enough. But it is traditional for one guest to present the new Gunny with a bulldog puppy as a gift. If you have not heard of anyone else doing such, you should do that.

Thanks for all the responses! A lot of good ideas!

Just went to a USN promotion at the Pentagon, mix of summer whites and khakis for those on duty, suits to business casual for the civilians. I was business casual and did not feel out of place at all.

Your attendance is really gift enough. But it is traditional for one guest to present the new Gunny with a bulldog puppy as a gift. If you have not heard of anyone else doing such, you should do that.
You were at the Pentagon, and I’ll be at the DC barracks, so perhaps there’s some commonality. Business casual sounds like a plan!

Your presence and a good dinner in DC. That's all he'll care about.

Back