Question about posting

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
Please excuse my ignorance in advance. How do you post a response to an existing post and have it show up under the post that I am responding to? It seems like if I post a response to someone in the middle of the thread that my post goes to the very end. It seems to get lost in the shuffle, especially if the thread is rather long. I think I made my question about as clear as mud, but hopefully you get the idea. Thanks!

i think in the options there is a way to view threads the way you are thinking. "threaded view" maybe or something like that. Kent will know.

another effective method is to use the quote button so that it is clear in your response what you are responding to.

Please excuse my ignorance in advance. How do you post a response to an existing post and have it show up under the post that I am responding to? It seems like if I post a response to someone in the middle of the thread that my post goes to the very end. It seems to get lost in the shuffle, especially if the thread is rather long. I think I made my question about as clear as mud, but hopefully you get the idea. Thanks!

Well, it is pretty clear to me. :wink2:

The easiest way to do that is to just quote the post you want to comment on. In case you don't know how to do that, there is a "Quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of the particular quote.

As far as the other way, that Tony was alluding to, I have to ask a question. Are you interested in just YOUR display, or do you want to have your post show up under the one you are referencing on EVERYONE'S screen? If that is your objective, that isn't possible.

But, if it is only on YOUR display you are interested in, you can do that by going to the User CP button on the taskbar within the PoA window and go down to the link called "Edit Options" button on the left side of the window. Go down about half way and you will find a box titled "Thread Display Options". In that box you will find another box called "Thread Display Mode". In THAT box you will find a drop down menu that has 4 options. I THINK the one you want is called "Hybrid". The other possible option that might do what you want is called "Threaded", but I don't think that is what you want.

Try them and see what you think.

The easiest way to do that is to just quote the post you want to comment on. In case you don't know how to do that, there is a "Quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of the particular quote.

As far as the other way, that Tony was alluding to, I have to ask a question. Are you interested in just YOUR display, or do you want to have your post show up under the one you are referencing on EVERYONE'S screen? If that is your objective, that isn't possible.

But, if it is only on YOUR display you are interested in, you can do that by going to the User CP button on the taskbar within the PoA window and go down to the link called "Edit Options" button on the left side of the window. Go down about half way and you will find a box titled "Thread Display Options". In that box you will find another box called "Thread Display Mode". In THAT box you will find a drop down menu that has 4 options. I THINK the one you want is called "Hybrid". The other possible option that might do what you want is called "Threaded", but I don't think that is what you want.

Try them and see what you think.[/QUOTE

Okay, now I am stuck :crazy: I quoted Greg's message as a test, didn't want to post it, and can't find a way to cancel it. I only see a way to "submit reply" or "preview post". Also, is there a way to only quote selected text rather than the whole message? Aargh!

Okay, now I am stuck :crazy: I quoted Greg's message as a test, didn't want to post it, and can't find a way to cancel it. I only see a way to "submit reply" or "preview post". Also, is there a way to only quote selected text rather than the whole message? Aargh!
You would use the back key on your browser.

Try them and see what you think.[/QUOTE

Yes there is. Use the quote button as you did above. Be careful with your edits. Note that the format for the quoted elements is the word quote surrounded by square brackets and terminated with /quote surrounded with square brackets. Look two paragraphs above. The terminator for Greg's quote is missing the closing square bracket... You can edit the text freely in between the opening bracket quote close bracket and the ending bracket /quote close bracket.

Also, once you have posted a message, you (and only you - admins excepted) can delete it.

-Skip

Last edited:
. You can edit the text freely in between the opening bracket quote close bracket and the ending bracket /quote close bracket.

By George! I think I've got it :fcross:........sorta. Thanks for all of the help and input. I'm sure that I have more questions but I'll try not to show my ignorance all at one time. I'll spread it out. :wink2:

By George! I think I've got it :fcross:........sorta. Thanks for all of the help and input. I'm sure that I have more questions but I'll try not to show my ignorance all at one time. I'll spread it out. :wink2:

And, you can go back and edit your previous posts, too.

This works well when you post something, then catch a lot of grief about it, then go back to change what you posted so you can say that you never said it in the first place. Not that something like that has ever happened in the history of the interweb.

But, once somebody else quotes you, your comments are in THEIR post and you can't edit that one.

Welcome to PoA. We welcome questions and most (well, maybe a few) of us respond well to questions asked in good faith.

Here's how to delete a post. Once the reply has been posted, select the [Edit] button. The edit window has a [Delete] button that you can then select. You're not done yet. At the bottom of the delete window is a radio button pair and you have to select Delete message. Once that is done, the [Delete this Message] button becomes active and when you click it, the message is deleted.

However, you cannot delete the first message in a thread. You did the right thing by just editing the first post to say that the item is no longer available.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah - and welcome to the boards (I'm at OJC and K34). I saw you are at K34, along with some other folks I know.

Oh, yeah - and welcome to the boards (I'm at OJC and K34). I saw you are at K34, along with some other folks I know.

Too bad that winter is looming. A little chilly for a hangar beer. I'm often at OJC and MKC too. Drop a note if you want to have coffee sometime and swap lies. :wink2:

Back