Question about compensation.

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
I know this has been ask a million times, but I forgot where I saw the answer, I think it was on the old AOPA site. I am going to fly to a business meeting in my plane, the company has offered to reimburse my expenses, is this legal or a no no? Yes I could drive, but it would take twice as long to get there.:confused: The FARS say if it is incidental to your work, but they do not give a definition of incidental.

Last edited:
Dean said:
I am going to fly to a business meeting in my plane, the company has offered to reimburse my expenses, is this legal or a no no?
Yes, it is legal as long as you are a Private or higher. You can even take other company employees going to the same meeting as long as you don't collect any money from them, just the reimbursement from the company. The readings Bruce referenced give you the details.

Dean said:
I know this has been ask a million times, but I forgot where I saw the answer, I think it was on the old AOPA site. I am going to fly to a business meeting in my plane, the company has offered to reimburse my expenses, is this legal or a no no? Yes I could drive, but it would take twice as long to get there.:confused: The FARS say if it is incidental to your work, but they do not give a definition of incidental.

Yes you can fly, yes you can receive reimbursment for travel expenses related to business (as long as the business isn't the flight itself). As long as the company is picking up the tab, you can also take anyone else heading to the meeting as well. When you get your commercial, you can head the companies aviation department, get them to lease a plane, then you could be paid to fly others to their meetings (one's you are not involved in) as well. When you get a 135 certificate and can qualify as the pilot for it, you can then fly the neighboring companies (or anyone else for that matter) people to their meetings and charge them for it.

Back