Question about Aspen 1000 VFR

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
My DG starting "sticking" last night. I had to repair a spring in it a few years ago, and it ran me a few bucks. Now it looks like I'm going to need someone to check it out again. I started looking at replacement DGs, and I came across the Aspen EFD1000 VFR. It says it's for VFR use, but why can't you use it in an IFR plane? I realize it has a different display, but why couldn't I use the DG part of it for IFR flight? Is it simply a matter of certification?

Not sure about that one.

You could always try to score a Sandel EHSI off barnstormers or eBay, I have a 3308 in my plane and love the thing.

I looked in the website. It seems there are just two differences as compared to the IFR "Pro" version: software, and an Analog Converter Unit (ACU). The latter connects to aircraft autopilot for GPS steering. The software changes are mostly indicators, such as localizer deviation indicator. Details below:

Web page:
The VFR PFD replaces traditional mechanical primary flight instruments in a unit that can be easily upgraded to an IFR display that can grow with you.
Pilot's Guide:
If there is a chance you may wish to upgrade to a Pro in the future including the optional ACU with the original VFR install is highly recommended. Including it in the initial install eliminates the need to open up the aircraft during a VFR to PRO upgrade. If an ACU was part of the initial VFR installation the VFR to PRO upgrade is a simple software upgrade.

The VFR to PRO software upgrade converts the EFD 1000 VFR CDI to a HSI in both 360 compass and arc modes, adds dual bearing pointers in 360 compass mode, vertical deviation indicator, localizer deviation indicator, minimums (decision height) flight director and Radio Altitude display input.​

Last edited:
Back