Quality of Pilot training in Philippines?

flyingwithoutborders

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyingwithoutborders
First post!

I am a US and Taiwan citizen, I am interested in getting a commercial pilot and helicopter's license.

I prefer to live outside of USA.

What is the quality of flight schools in Philippines like? I am aware I can convert to FAA (Foreign License Verification) after getting certified in the Philippines.

Any good flight school recommendations in the Victoria Texas area?

My ultimate goal is to fly for airlines in China.

Thank you !

Last edited:
I lived in the Philippines for 7 years between 2012 and 2018, and I can say the quality of instruction and maintenance leaves a lot to be desired. There was not a school I went to where I felt completely 100% with the quality of the planes. Also the process to obtain a Philippine license is extremely bureaucratic and becomes almost impossible to get without some serious monetary lubrication, unless you have some sort of residency visa in the Philippines. Even if you do have the visa as a foreigner expect a sliding scale on fees.

Then once you get all the paperwork the aircraft rental costs are about 50% to 60% higher than the US for a lower standard, and the quality of instruction is very hit or miss.

If you do want more details PM me and I'll be happy to give you more info and possibly put you in touch with someone that has actually gone through the process to get their Philippine student license. (And it only took them 8 months)

Used to live in Victoria. There is a great instructor about an hour away closer to San Antonio. I took my first 20 hours of flight training there. I can share contact details via PM if you’d like.

Thanks for all the input. I called some contacts , one of whom is Filipino and a captain with southwest airlines, as well as another delta airlines pilot and an older pilot who flies 737s. They all echoed what is said in this thread - pilots licenses can be bought in Philippines and the training in USA is still the best due to experience in various weather conditions and quality of training. There's a reason why China sends its pilots to USA to be trained.

In addition, after reading the forums it appears my best bet is to go through the ATP program as they train you the way the major airlines want you to fly.

If there isn't an opportunity to work in China, then I would work in USA, that would not be a problem. Considering the tax-free salaries being paid for experienced pilots in China in Shenzhen and Beijing, I am surprised more pilots are not going to work in China - although a lifestyle change is required and that is difficult on families.

Back