QFR-XCC with an iPhone?

Keane

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ErichKeane
Hi all-
I just picked up a brand new Lightspeed QFR-XCC, which has a cell-phone hookup. However, the cell-phone cable that comes with it is a 3-connector 2.5mm jack, said to work with nokia/etc phones.

However, the connector into the lightspeed is a 4 connector, 3.5mm jack (like a headphone jack, with an extra connector). Coincidentally, this is exactly the connector the iPhone uses for hands-free wired devices.

I wanted to check and see if anyone has just picked up male/male 4-connector 3.5mm cable? There is a place around here I think would have them, I just wanted to see if anyone else has confirmed it'll work.

Secondly, I noticed that if my iPhone was connected to the network, that I would hear some nasty clicking through the headset (on the ground of course). I clicked the phone over to airplane mode, and the sound went away. A few times in the air, I got the same clicking, though I don't know what that could have been. Is this normal?

Secondly, I noticed that if my iPhone was connected to the network, that I would hear some nasty clicking through the headset (on the ground of course). I clicked the phone over to airplane mode, and the sound went away. A few times in the air, I got the same clicking, though I don't know what that could have been. Is this normal?

Sounds like fairly typical GSM interference from your outbound cell phone signal - your iPhone is communicating with the network - and when in arplane mode that is eliminated.

I'm beginning to think that the clicking sound was it attaching to the 3G network, since it doesn't do it when it is within range of wireless.

ANYWAY: I picked up 2 cables and got them today! I can now use my headset as a hands free device without issue. I most likely won't use it much as a cell phone other than on the ramp, it is a very clean setup.

So-

I did a little research, contacted Lightspeed to get the pinout, and found the correct answer.

This cable: http://www.kvconnection.com/3-5mm-4-Pole-TRRS-Male-to-Male-Cables-s/7897.htm with a Ring-2 Ground/common is the correct cable for this application. You should be able to use your headset as a full hands-free device with the iphone, as well as keep stereo sound!

Cooooooooool! :yes:

Now do you have one that'll do the same thing, but bust it into two 3.5mm connectors, one for mic and one for headphones so I can use it on my computer as well? :D

Cooooooooool! :yes:

Now do you have one that'll do the same thing, but bust it into two 3.5mm connectors, one for mic and one for headphones so I can use it on my computer as well? :D

I'm sure KVConnection could make those as well. Email them and tell them what you need, and I'm sure they could make one.

Back