PVC's

U

Unregistered

I am a college age pilot who is thinking about making a career of flying.

I have, for many years now, many PVC's almost on a daily basis. I have a cardiologist, and have even had an electrophysiology study done, with no indication of aryhthmic activity, or disease present in the heart.

My cardiologist assures me that PVC's are not serious and will not limit my ability to have a normal life without any restrictions.

They are annoying however, and to help he has me on 50mg of Atenolol/day.

Is this a disqualifying health condition as far as the FAA is concerned?

I can't speak to the FAA's view, I'll leave that up to others.

However, I also had regular PVC's many years ago. To make a very long story short, eliminating caffeine from my diet corrected the problem. YMMV

I can't speak to the FAA's view, I'll leave that up to others.

However, I also had regular PVC's many years ago. To make a very long story short, eliminating caffeine from my diet corrected the problem. YMMV

Getting rid of the girl friend I had at the time got rid of mine:yes:

It's probably true that at college age they will not reuqire you run on the treadmill to show you haven't got coronary disease.

Normal humans have up to 6 PVCs per minute. And you are studied. WELL Studied. FAA will look at this at two different levels- (1) doesn't require medication, negative EP study, no Coronary Disease. Good to go. (2) Requires medication, EP study, let's make sure he doesn't have coronary disease.

Therein lies the rub. If you jump thoruhg al lthe hoops you WILL be able to get a First class. There will likely be a bunch of, I hope, onetime hoops.

I always thought PVC=PolyVinyl Chloride, the plastic pipe stuff. WRT coronary medicine, what is a PVC?

Premature ventricular contraction, or, in layman's terms, an irregular heartbeat. Many QUOTE normal UNQUOTE people get them, frankly.

But in populations where coronary disease is suspect it can be bad news.

I had a completely different congenital medical problem and after a bunch of onetime hoops I have no trouble renewing my medical. I actually have a letter from the Medical Branch to show to the AME when I go to get a renewal.

Do be aware, once all the "testing" is done, it can take 6 months+ for that initial medical to be issued.

~ Christopher

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back